LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Keeping/breeding Freshwater Shrimp

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Keeping/breeding Freshwater Shrimp

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

It’s 34 degrees in my bedroom just now….I’m dying…. Thanks lads will definitely go with the sponge-type filter.

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 26 2008, 12:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’s 34 degrees in my bedroom just now….I’m dying…. Thanks lads will definitely go with the sponge-type filter. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Peniculina (class Ciliatea, order Hymenostomatida). A suborder of ciliate protozoa in which characteristic bands of cilia (comprising the peniculus) occur in the cytopharyngeal region. Body cilia are arranged uniformly. There are several families, including the well-known genus Paramecium, found in aquatic environments.

OR:

Peniculus
    1 – From the prodelision used by Plautus in his work, “Menaechmi”. Formed from the words “Penis” and “culus”, it means “Precious penis”.
    2 – conventionally, a sponge.

Spurcamen = “filth” in Latin….

So you’re close mate…

/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Ps – scientific names aren’t necessarily in Latin they’re just specific to a given species, but now I’m just being a geek…

Richy
    Participant

As I said, I had a feeling it wasn’t right, thanks Mr geek /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

You got your filter yet Matt??

Daspricey
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 25 2008, 02:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mark, logically yes, but I’ve kept many fish without filter over the years and was wondering if the relative bioload of the shrimp will be small enough to consider doing the same…

What types of fish, Matt?

It’s 34 degrees in my bedroom just now

Yeah we’ve had similar temperature recently, it was 32*C in my ponds yesterday – i could give discus a go.

Matt
    Keymaster

Generally species from still-water environments David. Anabantoids, a few livebearers, a couple of killi species. Manuel doesn’t filter his Aphanius containers so neither will I. These tanks were all very lightly stocked with only one or two pairs of fish mind. Obviously I’m not suggesting it’s ok to do this with fish that need a lot of oxygen/water flow or in heavily-stocked tanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.