LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Killifish

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok HervĂ© (Hachge) requested this thread so please feel free to discuss any aspect of killifish keeping and breeding here. I’ll leave it to you guys to start this off….

dunc
    Keymaster

I’ve never kept Killifish but have always had an interest. My current favourite would be Aphyosemion sp. oyo, though I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on any lists.. I don’t even know if it’s imported. If I did see it… I’d be looking at setting up my 2 foot tank :/ That’s not a good thing!

Anyone have any experiences with those?

hachge
    Participant

Yes I have but it isa small fish and ther is eggs on aquabid from a german breeder.For myself I prefer the annuals from South America and I keep different species.But fromm all of them and for ages I try to put my hands on them,it is Pronotho Kyawensis a small annual from africa adult in 3 weeks and dead in 4 months.A very colorful fish to be kept in a special tank just for itself.

Herve

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Jul 25 2008, 04:52 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ve never kept Killifish but have always had an interest. My current favourite would be Aphyosemion sp. oyo, though I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on any lists.. I don’t even know if it’s imported. If I did see it… I’d be looking at setting up my 2 foot tank :/ That’s not a good thing!

Anyone have any experiences with those?

I don’t have any experience with that fish in particular. But if you fancy having a go at hatching some Nothobranchius eggs as an introduction to killi’s PM me. I’ll send you a few eggs gratis.

Just bear in mind, they’re not really community fish and really need feeding on live / frozen food. Oh, and they don’t live very long being annuals. They’ll lay plenty of eggs if well fed and cared for. You collect these and then incubate them in peat for 3 – 5 months or so and then restart the cycle….

Matt
    Keymaster

I had some Simpsonichthys flammeus last year but unfortunately the females came in very weak and keeled over quite quickly. Very beautiful but I found them to exhibit a very high level of intraspecific aggression between males and had to split them into separate tanks in the end…

Attached files

boyneburn
    Participant

I currently have Aphyosemion Australe Gold,Aphyosemion, Australe Park Mondah (1 female,lost the male & they are not easy to get.),Aphyosemion Striatum & Fudulopanchax Nigerianus”Makurdi”(2 young fish & some more eggs that I bought last week).
    I have also bred Fundulopanchax Scheeli which breed like rabbits & they don’t appear to eat their fry.I had loads of them.

mickthefish
    Participant

iv’e got a decent colony of scryptaphyosemion cauveti and a small group of chocolate australe nice fish that don’t need a lot of work, in fact half the time i forget i have them they just multiply by themselves.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Any breeding info to share guys?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.