LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Labyrinth Fish World Horst Linke

Home Forums Ichthyology Labyrinth Fish World Horst Linke

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Carnivora
    Participant

Does anyone have Linke, Horst. 2014. Labyrinth Fish World? Is this a good book? Where can it be purchased?

Thanks,
    Carnivora

Yan

Carnivora
    Participant

Did you find it to be worth the cost? As a new book, do you think it is up to date?

Yan

In my opinion, the information in the book is sufficiently up to date.

Though the book and is quite expensive, the price – a relative term.

Carnivora
    Participant

I think I will purchase it. Thanks! 

coelacanth
    Participant

Excellent book, well worth obtaining.

Carnivora
    Participant

I think I will purchase it from:

http://www.aqua-paeb.de/Seite%202_e.htm ->>>order by e-mail: [email protected]

Has anyone ordered direct before? If so, what was the experience like? How long did it take. I live in the U.S. 

Carnivora
    Participant

Just thought I would post a follow-up. I received the book in great condition from the author. It is a wonderful hardback book, with great glossy pages. The book is full of wonderful images. I especially appreciate the inclusion of “species” that have not be described. I was a bit disappointed in a few things. I had expected more of a review of Anabantoidei up until 2012 (the date used by the author of how up-to-date the book was). Instead, there is not a great deal of background information on this group, e.g. phylogeny. Most of the species information is directly related to breeding. I realize that for most species, there just is not that much information, but I know there is more out there when it comes to some species. I certainly appreciated the information on biotopes. It will really help people make as close of a match to natural habitat as possible. 

Some people may disagree, but I would have loved more insight and personal experience from the author about keeping many of these species. Although this would not necessarily be “scientific,” I certainly appreciate “informed opinions” when it comes to animal husbandry.

The worst part, which I separate to draw attention to it, is the typos. They are everywhere. I must confess that I have never read a book with so many typos, and I have a personal library of currently around 650 books over a wide range of subjects. This was very disappointing to me. It completely detracts from the great information, making the book seem rushed or worse, that the author simply did not care enough to proof read. I doubt the latter was the case, but after about the 10th typo, you start to wonder why you paid so much for the book. Typos are fine in online forums and text messages, but not in a published work that is intended to be taken seriously.

Overall, I would give this book a 3/5. It would be a 4/5 if not for the widespread typos. Hope this helps anyone who is interested in purchasing the book.

Stefan

Why is this in the ichthyology section? :)  

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm, kind of makes sense to have book discussions in here too though? Perhaps we should modify the section title…

Carnivora
    Participant

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I figured that a scholarly book discussion best fit here. Please let me know what would be a more appropriate sub-forum. Cheers

Stefan

How about a book section? There are many fine books and it makes it easier to find the threads again? Sorry for hijacking your thread!! 

BillT
    Participant

ichthyology = study of fish; seems an appropriate grouping, by name at least.

I like the book review. I would like to see paper reviews for the occasional paper also.

paul thompson
    Participant

I would recommend the book – good value for the price. My only criticism is that the scientific names are not up to date. Still an excellent addition to the bookshelf…

Matt
    Keymaster

Not at all Carnivora, and wholeheartedly agree with Bill.

Given forum traffic in general, am unsure a separate section for books is warranted at the moment?

Edit: problem solved? Modified section subtitle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.