LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Lamprichthys tanganicanus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Lamprichthys tanganicanus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Graham Ramsay 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Lamprichthys tanganicanus at around 6 months old. Just starting to collect eggs off them. Not as fragile as some make out.lamprichthys_tanganyicanus_6months.jpglamprichthys_tanganyicanus_6months_2.jpg

Rüdiger
    Participant

Just beautiful Graham! What’s their size at that age?

R.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

@Rüdiger said:
    Just beautiful Graham! What’s their size at that age?

R.

About 8cm Rüdiger.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Matt
    Keymaster

Awesome fish. :) How do you keep them Graham?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

@matt said:
    Awesome fish. :) How do you keep them Graham?

Usuall tapwater which is very soft. I have a layer of coral sand and crushed shells on the tank bottom to buffer the water. The pH is stable at about 8. I did the same for my empire gudgeons and bumblebee gobies. They eat anything and everything.

One interesting piece of behaviour – young specimens have an interesting (what I assume to be) predator avoidance tactic. If they are spooked they distort their body into weird positions (almost looks like they have broken backs) and just hang loose in the water column. Can be quite disconcerting when it first happens. After a minute or so they revert to normal.

oaken
    Participant

This is an awesome fish indeed. How big is the tank? And how do you collect their eggs? I seem to recall that this species deposits their eggs in crevices?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

@oaken said:
    This is an awesome fish indeed. How big is the tank? And how do you collect their eggs? I seem to recall that this species deposits their eggs in crevices?

The tank is 3ft long and there are 15 fish in it. Today a friend is coming to take 6 which will leave enough room for the rest to grow a little more. They will need a larger tank in a couple of months though.

I put a rough sponge from a Fluval internal filter in the tank and they press their eggs into that.

Matt
    Keymaster

…and then it’s a case of shifting the sponge elsewhere to hatch the eggs or do you remove them manually?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

@matt said:
    …and then it’s a case of shifting the sponge elsewhere to hatch the eggs or do you remove them manually?

I remove the eggs from the sponge.

Reva
    Participant

Congrats Graham. Very pretty. They would love the high ph we have here (pacific nw usa). i should give them a try too

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Egg production has increased as the fish mature. Getting 2 or 3 eggs each day and now have the first fry.

Matt
    Keymaster

Congrats. Smile

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Wow, they look awsome already and still have quite some growing to go (if hobby specimens can reach wild 15cm sizes)!

How easy/hard are you finding the fry to rear?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Fry are pretty easy to raise as they are quite big (I’m used to raising small fry).

Eat paramecium and ZM-000 from the get go. Can take newly hatched brine shrimp and vinegar eels from about a week old.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.