LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Light Bulbs

Home Forums The Lounge Light Bulbs

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

How sad it is to see ‘old style’ light bulbs ‘banned’ from sale in the U.K. and other EEC countries, as from Tuesday (1st September).

Our first tropical aquarium (1970) was heated by a small bulb. This aquarium (which is still in our cupboard under the stairs) was a small acrylic unit. It did not hold a large volume of water but Guppies reproduced within its boundaries while the longest living Neon tetras we ever had were really at home in this unit.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

No way.

dunc
    Keymaster

I think it’s the way forward tbh. Why bother with old energy-wasting bulbs when the newer ones are similar price, similar brightness and less energy consumption?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Dunc are all of the newer ones as bright in their light?

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah most of them are brighter David. More energy storage capacity.

keith565
    Participant

got to disagree guys, we have a chandeleir (sp) in our dining room with 3 40 energy saving bulbs, and they are no way as near as bright as the old 40w. so i guess we will have to up them to 60w, still saving money, but a falicy the new ones are as bright.

dunc
    Keymaster

What brand are they Keith? All of the 40Ws that I have are just as bright, if not brighter than the previous bulbs I had.

Matt
    Keymaster

You’re so “contemporary”…

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Sep 1 2009, 01:54 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What brand are they Keith? All of the 40Ws that I have are just as bright, if not brighter than the previous bulbs I had.

no idea Dunc. didn’t realise it made a difference. will investigate.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Glad I am not on my own in the opinion that some of the energy saving lights are not as bright as our ‘old friends’.

Regards David

Bluedave
    Participant

On a watt per watt basis they are – thats why they are energy saving i.e. an old 40 Watt tungsten lamp would give you about about 10 lumens per circuit watt (i.e. 400 lumens). An ‘energy saving’ lamp will give you about 80-100 lumens per circuit watt (i.e. a 40 Watt LE lamp will give you 4000 lumens).

The problem is that you usually buy LE lamps in much smaller wattages because of this and people tend to introduce the wrong type of lamp in place of the older lamps. For example generally if you are replacing 50W downlighters, you replace them with 9W LE lamps. The output in lumens is approximately the same but the throw of the LE lamp is very different, you therefore need more of them. Lighting isn’t just about lumens unfortunately, it’s also about photometry – something that nobody seems to realise when they are buying/selling these products!

The other probelm of course is that the replacement LE bulbs that you plug into normal light fittings come with a control ballast on them. This type of ballast takes a long time to ‘warm’ up and so the lights are very dim to begin with but get up to there full output over time. If you are only using the light for a few minutes then it will not get up to it’s full output and appear dimmer. Fittings with integrated ballasts don’t suffer from this problem as much so new houses shouldn’t have as much of a problem (as it is a Building regulation to install at least 30% of light fittings as dedicated LE fittings and planning regulations usually mean that over 75% of fittings end up being dedicated LE).

Types of lighting is another issue – any light that gives you more than 40 lumens per circuit watt is deemed to be low energy so that gives you a wide range of different light types to choose from.

Whats more worrying though is that a lot of the newer types of LE lighting contain nasties like mercury – so if they are not disposed of properly we may find we have a problem on out hands in the future. Although the government and maufacturers say that it’s in such low quantities that this isn’t possible I remain to be convinced.

LED’s will be the way to go in the very near future. Philips are in fact soon to stop production of standard flourescent fittings (the lamps will still be available though) and are concentrating on LED’s.

Bluedave
    Participant

I forgot to add as well that as far as I was aware, in the dmoestic market, it’s only 100W or more tungsten lights as of today, 60 W will be phased out by next year and 40W by 2011.

David Marshall
    Participant

Thanks Bluedave

You have certainly answered a few questions with your posts. Are you an electrician by trade?

Regards David

Bluedave
    Participant

Hi David,

I’m a Building services Engineer. I design any and all services that go into buildings i.e. plumbing, heating, lighting, air conditioing, ventilation etc. I’m actually mechanically biased (until recently I designed large District heating systems in London) but have design knowledge of most building services. At the minute I am working on integrating Renewable technologies into buildings and advising housing associations on low and zero carbon housing.

My brother is a lighting engineer for Philips, he designs lighting for large PFI schemes, so I get the low down from him on their products.

David Marshall
    Participant

Thanks Bluedave

What an interesting sounding job. Sounds as though you would, seriously, make a brilliant fish house consultant?

Regards David

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.