LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Lighting

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

ndc
    Participant

does anyone have suggestions for lighting geo tanks? ill explain a little more – as no doubt youll all come to realise over time i like to waffle on a bit – i have a juwel 400L with 7 geo altifrons sp-tapajos, which i like to keep quite dim (the water – not the fish!) (have 4 bits of bogwood in there which make the water look like weak tea!) but the wife wants something brighter – says it looks crap (philistine !) i dont want to up the light ‘volume’ but i want to know if theres a particular frequency of light which shows the colours off a little better – they look fantastic when they catch the light. as its a juwel the light bar doesnt work anymore so ive got a 8 watt powerglow lighting 1 half of the tank (i said i liked it dim) and i have 2 spot lights which light the other half and cast shadows on the sand, i dont want to change the amount too much hence the question, any ideas?

Matt
    Keymaster

I’d try a single metal halide…you really can’t beat the effect these produce in my opinion. Sounds like a cracking tank. Dunc and I are a bit nuts for Geophagus too. What else is in there?

ndc
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Apr 30 2008, 07:10 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’d try a single metal halide…you really can’t beat the effect these produce in my opinion. Sounds like a cracking tank. Dunc and I are a bit nuts for Geophagus too. What else is in there?

ive got 7 of the geos, 3 guianacara sp (no idea what as they came in undescribed from brazil and being guianacara are hard to identify) and 12 juvenile lda31 (which ill thin down in time)

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe, it IS Neill. How are you mate?

ndc
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Apr 30 2008, 07:29 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hehe, it IS Neill. How are you mate?

fine thanks, i like the look of the site, just found it, ive been sniffing around the pfk one lately as its a bit quiet at work at the moment but its a bit

Matt
    Keymaster

Brilliant. How big are the adults? Would love to see some pictures of them and the Guinacara…*whistles innocently* (Not the theme tune to “Different Strokes”, although I do remember it “But they got, Diff’rent Strokes, it takes, Diff’rent Strokes, it takes, Diff’rent Strokes to move the world.” etc. etc.

dunc
    Keymaster

Hey Neill!

dunc
    Keymaster

P.S. You’re showing your age Matthew.

ndc
    Participant

QUOTE(dunc @ May 1 2008, 01:13 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    P.S. You’re showing your age Matthew.

im impressed with the look of the forum as well, i like the fact that its smaller than others – but a few more people wouldnt go amiss !! which im sure will happen , but its got a much more friendly feel, and a bit of a sense of humour – thats missing in most other sites that ive had a look at and at the end of the day this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby , ill get some photos of the tank soon , its just in a bit of a hard position to photograph as im redecorating and havent got curtains up at the window at the moment, cheers neill

ndc
    Participant

i havent used halides before have you used them on f/w before?

Matt
    Keymaster

Not for a while but yes, I used to have a tank in my bedroom with a halide. The effect really is different to tube lighting; you get that natural kind of “dappled” effect and the colours of the fish seem to be more intense.

Never mind my age Wraighty….haven’t you heard of UKTV Gold?

ndc
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ May 1 2008, 12:50 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Not for a while but yes, I used to have a tank in my bedroom with a halide. The effect really is different to tube lighting; you get that natural kind of “dappled” effect and the colours of the fish seem to be more intense.

Never mind my age Wraighty….haven’t you heard of UKTV Gold?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah they definitely look best with no cover glasses. I bet you’re imagining the hatchet fish leaping about everywhere which could certainly be an issue. Well worth the expense if you can afford it in my opinion though. I saw a fantastic Geophagus tank with another kind of spot lighting a while back. I’ll have a sift around tonight and see if I can find a picture of it.

Author
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.