LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Lighting The Cheapskate Way

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Lighting The Cheapskate Way

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  footshot 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

footshot
    Participant

Ok I,m going to get a gasps of exclamation and disgust here i expect
    but
    the 170 ltr tank i inherited had a very dull flourescent tube of some description and i needed to replace it
    Being a little broke and balking at the prices of the tubesreccomended by various shopkeepers
    i sat at home thinking about this and the potential enrgy costs
    and had a flash of inspiration {the kind that a noobie gets when not understanding the full concepts of waterplant lighting requirements}
    THE result-: 2 standard angled bayonet lightfittings a coupler, 3metres of 2 core cable
    and 2 daylight emmiting energy saving bulbs (100 wattt equivalent)
    all fixed and fitted inside the wooden lid of my tank with with tin foil piecases as reflctors lol

I have had plants in this tank for nearly 3 weeks now and they are all doing reasonably welll showing good signs of growth
    i feed liquid at the reccomended dose once a week

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

My first tank had a little tungsten bulb at the back.

footshot
    Participant

YEAH there is a condensation problem but i leave the lid open during light times
    and being honest the aireation via the filter dropping water into the tank creating bubbles do leave a potential for hard water deposits when the bubbles pop
    but other than that things are still going sweet
    additionall question tho as i,m totally new to this
    i,m going to take some detritus feeders from a stream tiny freshwater shrimps mostly …..will they adapt to slight salt content i have in my aquarium?, i only dosed at 1/2 the reccomended, but my intention is to create an ecosystem rather than a display

thas a pic of the aeration
    and the the other one is just for C0 2[ i think i got the plans for the DIy

system here ]

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Are you taking them from a UK stream? If so I doubt it tbh.

footshot
    Participant

yeah there british and it was a british pet shop that said they would be ok but ive since noticed whitespot so am treating that right now [mistaken decision to by cheep black neons at 70pence a shot,3 were infected ] with a 10 day treatment plus the salt
    the plants havent died as yet and 4 daysin the treatment is working,
    ill wait see till the current infection is gone then let you kno

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.