LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Limia Sp

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  keith565 10 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Has anyone kept any Limia species? I bought a pair of Humpback Limia’s (Limia nigrofasciata) a few weeks ago. The female is now heavily gravid. I just wondered if anyone could tell me how many fry I should be expecting?

mickthefish
    Participant

that will depend on the size of the female Jarcave,
    i used to breed the humpback in the late 90’s into the early part of the new century,
    if your female is around the 2 inch mark you should be looking at between 15 to 20 odd fry as they are’nt very large fry.
    you’ve got the best species of Limia imo, good luck with them.

mick

Jarcave
    Participant

Cheers, yeah, should have stated her size! Sorry for the schoolboy error! lol She’s only about 4cm, so has a little growing to do.

Did your male Humpack try and hump every fish in the tank? Even those three times his size?

mickthefish
    Participant

yes mate, they’re oversexed little buggers.

Matt
    Keymaster

Mick do these munch their fry?

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 28 2008, 04:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mick do these munch their fry?

I think they could well be. I’ve just got home to find my female looking a lot thinner and only 5 fry in the tank. She’s only 4cm long but I would have expected a couple more? I should have used the breeding trap that I’d already placed in the tank.

mickthefish
    Participant

hi Jared
    mine were fed mainly fed live foods such as bloodworm, tubifex, white worm and grindal worms.
    plus a supplement of spirulina flake and tablets, and if i felt like gardening finely chopped earthworms.
    they will eat fry but never many, mine were in a 48x15x12 tank with a few plants in the substrate with indian fern on the surface, there was quite a few generations in this tank.

i did find out of a decent number of fry that i used to get what i called alpha males that grew larger tthan the rest of the offspring, these i used to seperate and use them for showing.
    they got me some best in shows and i got 3 in champion of champions a the BAF show, so keep on with them Jared and see if you get some mega males out as well.

mick

Jarcave
    Participant

Cheers Mick

Will do. I think I spoke too soon as I found 11 fry in total. Nine healthy and two “siamese twins” joinedjust below the pectoral fins which was a real shame.

mickthefish
    Participant

the males i used to show were 65mm SL, which for humpies is huge.
    the females used to get to 60 mm, which is spot on with the norm size book i use.

mick

keith565
    Participant

th number of fry sounds about right for a female of that size. they do indeed munch their fry if there is not enough cover for them. i flock breed all my limias and have lots of java moss and wool mops in all my tanks. i think most of the fry survive if they don’t get munched in the first few days.
    i keep nigrofasciata, perugiae, zonata, tridens, and the new limia sp ‘tiger’
    good luck with your fry.
    oh, and yes, they will ‘hump’ anything that moves, and sometimes things that don’t lmao

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jul 29 2008, 06:34 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    th number of fry sounds about right for a female of that size. they do indeed munch their fry if there is not enough cover for them. i flock breed all my limias and have lots of java moss and wool mops in all my tanks. i think most of the fry survive if they don’t get munched in the first few days.
    i keep nigrofasciata, perugiae, zonata, tridens, and the new limia sp ‘tiger’
    good luck with your fry.
    oh, and yes, they will ‘hump’ anything that moves, and sometimes things that don’t lmao

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Jarcave @ Jul 30 2008, 09:02 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for the reply Keith. I plan on flock breeding a few Limia species in future. Is there any chance of a Limia sp ‘tiger’ picture please? I’ve not seen one before. Where do they come from?

i’ll see if i can get a picture for you.
    as for details, very sketchy at the moment but the collection is Lake Miragoane, Haiti.
    i’m keeping them as i would any other limia, have had my first brood about a week ago, so quite excited.

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Jul 31 2008, 08:56 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i’ll see if i can get a picture for you.
    as for details, very sketchy at the moment but the collection is Lake Miragoane, Haiti.
    i’m keeping them as i would any other limia, have had my first brood about a week ago, so quite excited.

Any joy with the pics Keith?

mickthefish
    Participant

i picked up some young humpies at our last club meeting, there was supposed to be 5 in a bag but alas one had perished, so i was left with 4, 1 male 3 females but at the moment they are only babies.
    iv’e taken a couple of pics but i’ve not uploaded them of the camera yet.

mick

keith565
    Participant

oops, sorry, i completely forgot. will try and get a few pics in the next day or two, off to a show and auction in Yorkshire today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.