LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Liniparhomaloptera disparis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Liniparhomaloptera disparis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mikev 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Is this species more of a micropredator or an algal/biofilm grazer? Pic by HW Choy.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Mine seemed to be a bit of both. They liked BGA! Also hunted the bottom for food bits with the botias, though they were far less efficient. I really like them! All gone and unfortunately haven’t seen them since that one time. “Hongkong Plecos”

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Jim! Did they actually eat the BGA?

Also, are they capable of changing their body colour depending on circumstances?

Plaamoo
    Participant

It’s difficult to tell what they are actually eating Matt. There was only bits of BGA where the substrate met the glass and when I would vauum and move it around, they be there munching! And the BGA would disappear!
    I don’t remember much color change??? It’s been a while. I think Mick has some.

I just dug this up. I only had the 2 at this point. They never really fattened up. I should have given them another tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryI_KO3mXTI

Matt
    Keymaster

Was watching that video yesterday.

Plaamoo
    Participant

^^I think we all miss Mick! Hope he finds his way back.

Plaamoo
    Participant

“Hong Kong Plecos” turned up in my LFS today! Don’t know where I’m going to put them, but had to have a few!

mikev
    Participant

I’m really really envious…. I love this fish….

(And to the best of my understanding it is not L.disparis but rather a Vanmanenia sp…. not that it matters)

Plaamoo
    Participant

^There are more, want me to send you some

mikev
    Participant

Actually I do…. I know this is a lot to ask but this is about one of my most favorite loaches 😳
    I’ll find something nice for you…have space for more bows?

How many are there and how much are they? :

mikev
    Participant

also… the red version from the first photo is something I’ve always wondered about…. I’m not sure it is the same species. I’ve seen them twice, unfortunately the entire shipment went Kaput both times, but the feeling I had was that it was not identical.

Plaamoo
    Participant

You & Matt & Thomas & ??? can debate the species issue.

Email or pm me and we can discuss it further. I don’t know how many there are left, I’ll check tomorrow?

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice find Jim, they look very cute!

QUOTE (mikev @ Apr 22 2011, 01:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    (And to the best of my understanding it is not L.disparis but rather a Vanmanenia sp…. not that it matters)

Any reference for this Mike? Would love to read it.

mikev
    Participant

No ref, I’d love to have it too.

A few years ago when I kept some (it was my first hillstream), I tried to figure out what is going on… The fish came from HK, as “HK pleco” with not-at-all-scientific name H.hoffmani; not always the same fish either. JP from LOL did not believe this being Lh.disparis based on the head shape, but head shape seemed to be variable, and so was the pattern.

One of the variants of this HK fish is shown here: look at the first photo. This is no V.hainanensis obviously; the pattern is different (and matches HK vannies) plus this photo predates exports from Hainan (which was a closed military zone till recently).

So I started digging up everything I could find on mainland China vannies… many described species but little info to go by … and this being done around 2006 I will have hard time re-finding what I found then.

My feeling is that there are several species of Vanmanenia from that area, possibly not all described, and quite possibly Lh.disparis is in reality one of the Vannie species. Cannot do any better then this, sorry, this is the usual hillstream mess, and asaik nobody even looks at Vannies today, unlike, say, Sewellia.

BTW, HK area also has what seems to be a mainland analogue of Crossostoma… I had one for a couple of years, really nice hyperactive fish….

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Jim ,sorry to change the conversation a bit but that young Histrionica has some lovely colour /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” /> I’ve never had a group of Histie’s grow uniform , always quite a variation with in the gang , does everyone see this ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.