LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Live Food Or Not?

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Live Food Or Not?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

Hi guys, I’ve been busy again, so sorry I havent been answering posts as usual. Yesterday, I came home early enough to check my backyard little pond (which is actually a kiddy pool) that I grow live food in ie mosquito larvae. I feed it to my Ctenopoma. After weeks of nothing but worms and mosquito larvae in there, all of a sudden there are these wierd little critters. they are about the size of a flax seed or a large sesame seed. Dark brown/black in color, they swim really fast by unrolling and rolling in their tail. Body looks very oval when not swimming. I can see two teensie antennae on the head.

Do you guys have any idea what this is? Can I feed it to the fish? I have been straining them out and throwing away. But it is not dragonfly larvae. At best guess it is some kind of thing like a damsel fly or something like that. You guys are so good at imagining what I am talking about that I thought it was worth a try to ask you. If it’s edible, it would be a lot easier to scoop both things out of the water.

mickthefish
    Participant

you’ll be safe feeding them to the ctenopoma, from your description they are mossie larvae just before they change into the mossie.
    so stop throwing them out.

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 18 2008, 07:12 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    you’ll be safe feeding them to the ctenopoma, from your description they are mossie larvae just before they change into the mossie.
    so stop throwing them out.

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Oct 19 2008, 03:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mick, I looked at “pond bug larvae websites and couldnt find anything that looked like them. What the heck are mossie?

Mosquito

mickthefish
    Participant

thanks Paul, nice to have you back mate.

mick

Reva
    Participant

no no no…I KNOW what mosquito larvae are, and these are definately not that. These are very oval and dark and swim by undulating , not squiggling. no hairs, no breathing tubes, just sorta beetle shaped with antenna’s, no legs that I can see ..they kinda look like the shape of an armadillo..soft underbody that opens and contracts really fast when they swim…(which is far faster than the mosquito larvae)

Matt
    Keymaster

I think Mick’s right Reva. They sound like the pupal form of the mosquitos. Do they look like this?

Attached files

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.