LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Loach ID needed

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Loach ID needed

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Found these today. They don’t look like Cobitis taenia or C. calderoni which are supposed to be the only two species from that genus found in Catalunya. Or are they wee Misgurnus? If they are there were no adults found which seems odd. Any ideas gentlefolk? Plenty more pics to share once we have a postive id.

They come in two colours:

Attached files

ndc
    Participant

dont know but your getting very good at finding fish whos natural habitat is a green leaf !!

mickthefish
    Participant

they certainly look like Misgurnus to me bud,

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol Neill they grow on trees around here. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Should be M. fossilis?

Edit – Hmm no looks like anguillicaudatus

Malti
    Participant

an alien species introduced by some”hobbyist”?

Matt
    Keymaster

Aye quite possibly Karlos. I know they’re having trouble with this species in quite a few places here.

Malti
    Participant

if they want to catch a few and send them over…wonder what type of tank they need – I’ll check kb later, as got a date with my bed now, hope kb is updated

Matt
    Keymaster

Not just them either mate. Half the lakes here are over-run with predatory American largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides and sunfish Lepomis gibbosus, plus there are carp, pike, cichlids and more… Full list. Hmm reading that no mention of our loach here plus TIGER SHARK??

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Personally I think you could well have Misgurnus mizolepis there Matt.

Matt
    Keymaster

Now that would be odd Mark!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Its just a hunch Matt, I spoke to a friend of mine after he returned from Taiwan around 3 years ago and he said that there was a lot of work getting carried out breeding male M. mizolepis to female M. anguillicaudatus. This triploid hybridisation was creating faster growing fish, and he said that the fish produced looked more like M. mizolepis than M. anguillicaudatus.

The fact that you have found lots of small ones but no adults would indicate that the fish have been put there by someone and I am wondering if some of these hybrid fish are making their way out of Asia.

One of the reasons these fish were been produced was for use as food fish and bait fish.

I will see if I can get in touch with him and get more details.

mickthefish
    Participant

That does not sound good Mark, i hope your wrong mate.
    see what i mean about these bloody hybrids,
    are you reading this David Marshall.
    if they can do it there they could also do it over here mate.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

I think there’s a possibility these are hybrids. Reason being I caught loads of them at this size and not a single bigger fish. The habitat is rather “closed” so I don’t think it’s a case of a brood of younger fish living together for safety or anything. Plus if they were released here by a “hobbyist” at all the same size said person would have had to be in possession of several hundred young specimens…

Ps – Mark I hope you’re wrong too mate…

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 28 2008, 07:56 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ps – Mark I hope you’re wrong too mate…

So do I but you know what its like when you get a hunch, its one of the few occasions I really hope I am wrong

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.