LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Loach Id Required

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Loach Id Required

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Any opinions on this one?

Attached files

Jakub
    Participant

Ok, I am a rookie here but from ventral fins before dorsal: Lepidocephalichthys? Maybe tomaculum?

Thomas
    Participant

Lepidocephalichthys is my idea too. No suggestion about the species.

Cheers,
    Thomas

andy rushworth
    Participant

Possibly L.hasselti ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Collection locality is northern Peninsular Malaysia if that helps.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I would say definitely Lepidocephalichthys, my guess at species would be furcatus?

Jakub
    Participant

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Mar 8 2012, 07:32 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would say definitely Lepidocephalichthys, my guess at species would be furcatus?

I think caudal fin doesn’t fit…

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers guys. Was asking this for a friend who collected it. It’s been identified by an ichthyologist as L. tomaculum but exhibits some differences from the diagnosis for that species so he was interested to know others’ opinions.

I should add that I initially said it was a Paramisgurnus so don’t think he’ll ask again mind…

Thomas
    Participant

I should add that I initially said it was a Paramisgurnus

Matt, don’t drink and determine

Jakub
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 9 2012, 02:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    (…) It’s been identified by an ichthyologist as L. tomaculum but exhibits some differences from the diagnosis for that species (…)

If they feel L. tomaculum doesn’t quite fit maybe it is worth considering Kotellatlimia? I think there was a fish once classed as Lepidocephalichthys that was then moved to Kotellatlimia (pristes)? Differences must have been very fine…

Thomas
    Participant

K. pristes and K. katik were in the genus Lepidocephalichthys but there is at least one big different: at the males of Kottelatlimia is the second ray of the pectorale thickened, at Lepidocephalichthys it’s the last ray.

Kottelatlimia male:

Lepidocephalichthys male:

I’m not sure if there are other “good to see” differences, except for the pectorals I would also say this two genera are very similar (at least in their aquaristic care).

Cheers,
    Thomas

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Thomas @ Mar 9 2012, 03:25 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Matt, don’t drink and determine /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Lepidocephalichthys doesn’t seem to be in question, just whether it’s something undescribed or not.

andy rushworth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 9 2012, 02:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cheers guys. Was asking this for a friend who collected it. It’s been identified by an ichthyologist as L. tomaculum but exhibits some differences from the diagnosis for that species so he was interested to know others’ opinions.

I should add that I initially said it was a Paramisgurnus so don’t think he’ll ask again mind… /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

The.Dark.One

I’d go with tomaculum too.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Your Darkness and all, have passed it on. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.