LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Loach Id

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Any idea what this may be?

(posting this on behalf of a friend who found this chap in a lfs; no info on where this came in from, but there were a couple of R.diospilus in the tank, so perhaps China.) A couple more shots here.

Matt
    Keymaster

A young Schistura fasciolata maybe?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Mikev, I’m not sure but Matts guess would be mine ! it’s a really clear pic

mikev
    Participant

Thanks guys,

Let’s see how it changes in a couple of months… if you looked at the older photo at link, it did not have any body markings initially.

“it’s a really clear pic” — I need to get him to take a photo of my pseudo-M.guentheri’s and a couple of others…. they would be more interesting for id’ng.

andy rushworth
    Participant

That would be great

mikev
    Participant

OK, here goes. The story behind getting them was this… one of the more known fishkeepers in the US was moving and getting rid of a bunch of his fish… he showed me the list and it had a couple of hillies I badly wanted, but express-mailing only two fishes was irrational so I also took his guentheri group. This was also irrational, since I have a decent group of them already, but I kind of like them, and the tank is large enough for another five…

not sure they are guentheri’s, however… the markings and behavior are similar but different from the ones I have or I’ve seen before. The person who sent me the fish said that he had his doubts about them being guentheris too but eventually accepted them as such.

My current group is composed of a few I was able to get locally and then Plaamoo — thank you! — sent me some more. No question that these two groups are the same fish, it is the new ones that make me wonder….

Differences:
    Something is off about the body spots… some of the white spots in the middle of the body are reflective (where not in mine)… stronger body black (two of five are really black color, not grey like any other m.g. i’ve seen).. strong black in the caudal fin… slender build then any of mine (the new chaps are maybe 10% shorter then the ones i have now, but perhaps 30% less in the diameter – and this is not a newly imported fish or juveniles, they were well fed for a couple of years).
    Behavior: seem much more active, actually beg for food, I saw them killing/eating snails a couple of times, saw them fighting, and I believe I saw them spawning too. (never saw anything like this from my other guentheris).

sorry for the dirty glass!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.