LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Local Aquatic Plants

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Local Aquatic Plants

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

stusimpala

I live in northern Ohio. I wanted to save a couple of bucks and use a couple of plants out of grandparents lake to decorate my aquarium. One type of plant is some type of ludwiga. After a couple days of being in my eco-complete substrate, the roots seem to get very soft and rot away.
    Is this caused by the substrate, lower light levels, the change in water conditions, or something else entirely?

There was also some shoots of grass growing up out of the water that I put into my tank. Within a couple of days, it has all turned brown. Is there anything I can do to acclimate these plants?

Bluedave
    Participant

Can we have some more info on your tank – size, fert regime, lighting levels and temperature.

If you’ve put them in a tropical tank I have a feeling it may be the temperature.

stusimpala

Its a 46 gallon with no ferts, eco-complete substrate, one Aqua-Glo T8 bulb, and it runs at about 82 degrees.

I’m thinking your right about the temperature thing.

Bluedave
    Participant

Yep, 82 is about 28 celcius if my maths is correct. Thats quite high, is there a reason for that?

That would explain the leggy limnophilia in your tank – mine looked like that when I had Discus at 82-83 fahrenheit.

Could you aclimatise it in some way – put it in some cold water indoors first where it will come up to room temp (64-68 F?) then throw a heater in and slowly bring the temp up by a couple of degrees each day over a couple of weeks?

Might work…………….don’t know??? lol

Ferts might help as well?

stusimpala

I keep it that high of a temperature for the german rams.

I didn’t really think about the temperature issue before, right now the water outside is probably around 70 or so….. It seems like trying to aclimate may be more hassel than it is worth.

Bluedave
    Participant

Fair enough! lol

The rams would be alright at a temp of about 26 oC (think thats 78 oF) which would help make the plants less leggy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.