LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Luminaire

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Fishwife 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Fishwife
    Participant

I have a Classica Aquacurve 50 litre tank which is 2ft x 1 ft x 1 ft. I’d like to replace the lid with it’s 14 watt light with a Luminaire and I can’t make my mind up between the Classica OTL-T8 which has 2 x 15 watt T8 lamps or the Aqua One Triple T5 which has 3 x 24 watt lamps (2 white & 1 blue)

There’s only about £20 different in the price, but do I need the T5’s or would the T8’s be sufficient for me? I’m only a basic plant grower, using Easy Carb but would like to try one or two different plants in my tank.

Has anyone any experience with either Luminaire, I’m tempted to stick with the name Arcadia but some friends say the Aqua One is just as good and I should go for the brighter lights. I could do with some advice on this please

Bluedave
    Participant

Adding more light means you will need to add more ferts and CO2 to the tank to avoid nuisance algae. Also, if you haven’t got a large amount of plants then upping the light and ferts etc may lead to algae problems as well.

At the minute you’ve got about 1.3 WPG – fine for slower growing low-mid light plants.

2 no 15W lamps will give you 2.7WPG – thats quite a lot of light and you should be able to grow pretty much anything in that but you will need CO2 and ferts.

3 No. 24W T5’s is overkill – thats 6.5 WPG – if you have a heavily planted tank (i.e. 75% of substrate covered) and your dosing EI method/a lot of ferts and adding CO2 then go for it. If it’s not heavily planted then stick with the 2 No. 15 W otherwise you will have algae issues.

T8’s would be fine in a tank that deep – get some reflectors and you’ll have no problems.

Fishwife
    Participant

Thanks for that

Bluedave
    Participant

I’ve not used either of those systems i’m afraid. The tetra optimat is probably enough though. For the size of tank you will probably be alright to just continue with the easy carbo – how much are you adding?

Fishwife
    Participant

I add 10 drops per day except Sunday which is my fish starve day and I feel mean opening the flap with all those little mouths waiting below

Bluedave
    Participant

I’ll have to measure what 10 drops is! The manufacturers instructions is 2 ml per 50 litres of tank water for tanks with lot’s of plants, so if you stick with that you’ll be fine.

I’d give it a go with just that and the new lights and see how the plants fare before buying a new CO2 system. What ferts do you add?

Fishwife
    Participant

Thanks for the help, I’ve got about 3 or 4 Nutrafin Plant Gro Fertilizer Sticks in the gravel, I put them in when I set the tank up about 6 months ago, so should be OK for another 6 months.

Bluedave
    Participant

You will still need to add ferts to the water column even though you have ferts inthe substrate.

Aqautic plants take most of the nutrients they need in from the water column. Some are greedy root feeders (Ech species for example) but most are not. Try a liquid fert like Tropica TPN+. There is no point in increasing the light if you don’t increase the ferts as the extra light will be wasted (which the algae will thrive on).

Fishwife
    Participant

Thanks a lot, that’s the sort of advice I needed and am really grateful

Bluedave
    Participant

You’ve confused me now – are you using easy life combo (which is a bottle of easy life easy carbo and a bottle of easy life Profito bought together) if so then you’ve got everything you need. If your just using easy life easy carbo on it’s own then you need Tropica TPN+ (or easy life profito).

Root tabs are good for greedy root feeders and when you first set up the tank. I like to add refresher tabs to the substrate once a year apart from that you are fine just dosing the water column.

Fishwife
    Participant

Thanks again and sorry about the mix up, I’d written to a friend telling her about the Profito (which I use weekly) and I thought it was you I’d told.

Bluedave
    Participant

no probs, lol

so you’ve got everything you need then, when you get the new lights you might just have to increase the dosage of the profito (maybe twice a week). See what the plant growth is like once you’ve got the lights on and take it from there

Fishwife
    Participant

Author
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.