LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Madagascan Fish?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Madagascan Fish?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jaguar 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hokum
    Participant

Been watching a series on the BBC, about Madagascar, and I wondered with all the unique animals, what about the fish? I assume they have unique and interesting fish? Anyone know of any?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The first ones that would jump straight to mind are Madagsacan rainbows which are stunning fish, Paretroplus maculatus, Paretroplus menarambo even six species of Malagasy crayfish.

The problem is that the native species are under serious threat because like everywhere else introduced species like Channa, Tilapia and Gambusia are decimating native populations and areas of native vegetation are been removed for rice paddies causing loss of habitat, its amazing how much isnt shown in programmes like this

Hokum
    Participant

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Feb 18 2011, 10:23 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    removed for rice paddies causing loss of habitat, its amazing how much isnt shown in programmes like this

The paratilapias are an interesting group of cichlids.

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=117

QUOTE (Hokum @ Feb 18 2011, 03:48 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Been watching a series on the BBC, about Madagascar, and I wondered with all the unique animals, what about the fish? I assume they have unique and interesting fish? Anyone know of any?

coelacanth
    Participant

The Beeb seem to have a blind spot when it comes to fish in general, unless they’re being eaten by something else.

In the case of the Rainbows, previously it was assumed that it was due to colonisation by an oceanic atherinid ancestor but the close relationship with Melanotaeniids is now taken to assume that it is from a Gondawanan distribution.
    The alternative would I think indicate that there was a marine ancestral group to both Melanotaeniid and Bedotiids that subsequently had the bad luck to go extinct right across the Indo-Pacific.

hachge
    Participant

[You have also 3 nices killifish endangered

Colin
    Participant

Yeah – what Pete said… Documentaries in general seem to gloss over fish full stop! Also, typical BEEB documentary with very little actual information about the species shown, just lots of pretty pictures

Jaguar
    Participant

I had a lovely breeding pair P. Polleni, but had to get rid of when I closed all my tanks down. Beautiful fish if you can get them for a large species tank.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.