LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Malaga Aug 2009

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Malaga Aug 2009

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

Haven’t got much time, meant to be out in 15mins, but here’s some of the fish shots I took over in Malaga with our Mr Ford.

Habitat/random pics to come tomorrow.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Those cobitis are lovely, cant wait to get my hands on them

Matt
    Keymaster

The fish are Aphanius baeticus (males striped, females plain with dark markings) and Cobitis paludica, by the way folks. Mark and Mick check out the red in the caudal of the fish in the first loach pic; I thought that was really lovely and hadn’t seen it on previous trips. Spawning colouration maybe?

The pics were all taken at the habitat and the ones with a black background resulted from a moment of artistic genius in which Dunc decided to use my rucksack as a backdrop and make his poor missus stand above the tank holding a remote flash while I was collecting loaches for the lads! /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> Did you get any decent shots of that one I couldn’t identify by the way?

dunc
    Keymaster

Yeah I did but for some reason I’ve forgotten to upload it

Amy
    Participant

I’m a fantastic flash stand

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

Interesting report. Do the killies here react badly to the stress of a photographic tank as they look a little ‘rough’?

Regards David

dunc
    Keymaster

We were only there for an hour or so David, we literally netted them out of the river and threw them in to the tank; flew through some photos then threw the loach in too. They never had a chance to settle down.

Matt
    Keymaster

Nah David they’re really tough little things. The female’s caudal fin is ripped which does happen with Aphanius as they’re pretty feisty when spawning. Anything else you see is just sand particles in the water.

keith565
    Participant

fab shots guys.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

These things are always good to know.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

love the loach as well as the Aphanius but the loach is the star.
    great pics dunc mate.

mick wright.

dunc
    Keymaster

I don’t think I really did the loaches justice to be honest Mick, they’re *even more* attractive in the flesh.

mickthefish
    Participant

i’ll find that out soon dunc, Keith is babysitting them for Mark and I, thanks Keith mate.
    a question for you and Matt are these loaches caught in estuary waters, if so how far inland are they caught?.

awaiting your answers eagerly.
    got me posh ed on tonight.

mick

oaken
    Participant

Very nice pictures

Matt
    Keymaster

Mick we collected them about 800m from the sea but they can’t be found any closer. As far as I know both they and the Aphanius are restricted to a short stretch of the river where the water is fresh. I took home some of the substrate and algae/plants so will take some pics for you if you like.

Have to say the habitat was in the worst state I’ve seen it as someone has been using it to graze horses. A lot of the marginal vegetation has disappeared and the animals were literally s**ting in the river bed. If too much crap gets into the small pools where the fish survive during August and September I guess they could be in real trouble.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.