LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Malaysia 2013

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Malaysia 2013

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Very cool Matt! Not really where you’d expect to find the stiphodon. Spawning maybe?

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Jim! They’ve only ever been recorded with certainty in this one stream and apparently are always there – the tributary is pure freshwater but the main channel is pretty salty and they’ve not been found in other rivers on the island or elsewhere as far as I know. We had the feeling they’re restricted to a stretch of just a few hundred metres as the terrain starts to rise pretty sharply just after where we found them. If you look towards the top of this pic you can sort of see what I mean?

DSC_0425.jpg

Plaamoo
    Participant

Interesting. I guess I always envision them in bigger, more robust water. From odyssey’s pics I guess.

Matt
    Keymaster

Me too before seeing this. It’s a really isolated population – maybe the Stiphodon with the smallest distribution?

Plaamoo
    Participant

That makes it extra special that you got to see them! Who knows how long they’ll exist?

Matt
    Keymaster

It was a real privilege and unless something major happens with the tilapia or the village chief going nuts and selling all the land, for example, they should be alright for the forseeable future at least. Only wish I could’ve caught one of the nice blue males. :(

sinnick

Great thread and wonderful documentation process. I’m very impressed that you could identify almost all the species you caught while collecting. 

Awesome work, thanks for sharing!

Matt
    Keymaster

Many thanks and welcome to the site sinnick! You’ve given me a timely reminder to add some more pics here. :)

Following the Tioman trip we were reaquainted with our rental car in Mersing and set out north with the aim of reaching Terengganu in order to meet my good friend Amey Ahmad, a local scientist who was to be our companion for the next week of our journey. On the way, we planned to sample a large area of peat swamp in southern Pahang state with the intention of collecting Betta tussyae. Unfortunately, this day proved to be a total flop – a new road is being constructed right through the middle of the forest and the swamp, or at least the accessible parts, proved to be totally dead in terms of fishes. Despite numerous stops, we saw only a single Channa specimen all day which was pretty depressing because this habitat was apparently pristine a couple of years beforehand.

Degraded peat swamp habitat in Pahang state. Nepenthes possibly N. gracilis (?):

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Haze on road caused by burning of forest (pic taken in car):

Burning-forest.jpg

New channels directing industrial effluent and subsequent effect on water quality; doesn’t look good. The Nymphaeaceae sp. is presumably growing so well here due to an increase in nutrients – does anyone know if it is a native plant in Peninsular Malaysia?

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Early morning forest mist at Muadzam Shah

010-1.jpg

We first tried to check a freshwater swamp close to the town, but found that adjacent forest had recently been cleared to make way for new housing, and the swamp appeared to be in a fully eutrophic state. No fishes were recorded here, just a solitary purple heron.

011-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

012.jpg

013-1.jpg

Not what we wanted to see…

015.jpg

We then made a very brief stop at Tasik Bera, but didn’t bother to fish as the place was full of people. A few large rasboras, juvenile Hampala and other cyprinids were visible in the shallows.

016.jpg

On our way back to the coast we found this modified, but promising stream flowing through a small forested area.

018.jpg

Rasbora enthovenii

019.jpg

Miserable-looking Desmopuntius hexazona

020.jpg

Trichopsis vittata

022.jpg

Should be Betta pugnax (?)

021.jpg

Next stop was a stream which flowed into nice-looking forest on one side of the road

023.jpg

Unfortunately, on the other (upstream side)

024.jpg

025.jpg

Not a good place for fish, and we only saw some nice odonates here (there is one, probably Archibasis rebeccae, in this pic).

026.jpg

Paragomphus capricornis?027.jpg

Unsure about this one; Diplacodes trivialis?

028.jpg

Last stop of the day was another degraded stream flowing through an oil palm plantation

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

Hemirhamphodon pogonognathus

033.jpg

Barbodes binotatus here had a nice golden sheen

034.jpg

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Matt! A lot of fish in that one little trickle! Maybe all they have left? It’s really depressing how the area is being degraded.

Matt
    Keymaster

Right Jim. I’d been told before the trip that the southeastern part of Peninsular Malaysia was already more-or-less gone, but wanted to see for myself. It was an eye-opening and worthwhile part of the trip, but pretty boring fish-wise.

Continuing our drive up to Terengganu, we followed the coastal route rather than the main motorway in order to visit the type locality of Pangio alcoides, since we don’t have any live photos of it.

Passing through Dungun.

035.jpg

The type locality of Pangio alcoides is given as ‘Stream at 154 stone on road to Kuantan from Kuala Terengganu, Rantau Abang, Terengganu, Malaysia’. This road runs through a coastal floodplain that evidently held plenty of water in the past (or perhaps still does on a temporal basis), but at the km 154 stone we only found some small pools in an otherwise dry stream bed. Regrettably, no fishes at all were found here despite some intensive effort.

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

Arriving to Terengganu at last we made our way to the university, where we dropped off our hire car, spending our remaining time in Peninsular Malaysia with Amey, Sy, and their 4×4! This facilitated access to more interesting, i.e. remote, places and unsurprisingly, we started to find more species. Our first stop was a partially degraded coastal swamp close to Terengganu which contained nice black water. I buggered up the camera settings here so pics look slightly odd.043.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

Aplocheilus panchax

044.jpg

Trigonopoma gracile

045.jpg

Trichopsis vittata again

046.jpg

Desmopuntius hexazona

048.jpg

Young Rasbora caudimaculata

049.jpg

Lepidocephalichthys hasselti

047.jpg

Kajsa12
    Participant

Nice pictures, Matt.

Especially liked the ones of the S. aureorostrum habitat.Smile

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Henri!

Matt
    Keymaster

Time to add some more pics here. Wink

The next morning we fished the lower reaches of a small, coastal black water river. Our colleagues only informed us of the crocodile risk here post-sampling!!!

001.jpg

002.jpg

Sampling

Sampling-Ais.jpg

Desmopuntius johorensis

005.jpg

Channa lucius juvenile

006.jpg

Osteochilus spilurus

007.jpg

Pristolepis fasciata

008.jpg

Macrognathus maculatus

011.jpg

Rasbora cephalotaenia

012.jpg

We also checked out a ditch which is sometimes connected to the river.

003.jpg

Bubble nest of Trichopodus trichopterus.

004.jpg

Channa cf. gachua

010.jpg

Silurichthys sp.

009.jpg

oaken
    Participant

Great!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.