LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Marbled salamander – Ambystom opacum

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Marbled salamander – Ambystom opacum

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Thomas 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Thomas

News from the caudate front:

Last weekend I got five CB juveniles of the “marbled salamander” (Ambystoma opacum). Not to confuse with the “marbled newt” (Triturus marmoratus).

The special on this species is the females lays the eggs at land under small caves or similar. But the larvae development happens later in water. In nature rainfalls flooding the aerea with the eggs, and the larvas start to hatch. 

Spawning season is late autumn and with a big portion of luck mine are next years autumn old enough to reproduce. Currently they are round about one year old and 6-7 cm (2,3-2,7 “).

A_opacum1.jpgA_opacum2.jpgA_opacum3.jpgA_opacum4.jpg

Cheers,

Thomas

Matt
    Keymaster

Beautiful species. :) Where is this one from Thomas?

Thomas

Copied from wikipedia:

Marbled salamanders are found in the eastern United States, from southern New England to northern Florida, and west to Illinois and Texas.

oaken
    Participant

I really like the markings on these. Do these need a colder period, too?

Thomas

Yes, but I’m not sure which is the best time. Ok, this year without spawning activities it is no question, next year I have to see. :)

What I can say after one week of keeping them, they aren’t so easy to feed as my Notophthalmus. I must place the food before the hiding places. At the moment it doesn’t work to throw some micro crickets in the tank as I can do it at the Notophthalmus.

They like wax moth larvae…

A_opacum8.jpg

The tank

A_opacum_tank3.jpg

Jrp
    Participant

Those are very attractive. This is yet another local species that I have yet to see in  the wild.Confused

Thomas
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.