LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mayan Cichlids

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mayan Cichlids

This topic contains 41 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  retro_gk 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

I live in Guatemala on the North shore of Lake Peten. I have recently found that I can build aquariums 50 gallons and have started collecting tropical fish again after very many years. I have to import all my equipment and supplies. I can only obtain 5mm glass so I am pushing my luck but I install two top braces to stop the glass bending outwards.
    So far from the Lake shallows I have collected Mayan Cichlids, Moon Silversides and the Peten Molly.
    Trying to identify the Cichlids was a problem as the many photos did not agree with my fish. Then I discovered that there was 8 sub-species. The species name which describes the eyespot on the tail only appears on one of my collection so far. the others have a black horizontal ragged bar in front of the tail. When captured from the Lake they also had vertical bars but these have disappeared in the aquarium.
    My cichlids range from half an inch to two inches. They will eventually grow to about 15 inches.
    They have been introduced into Florida and Singapore as a food and sport fish. Here they are very popular in local restaurants. They are fried and served whole. This is a bit of a shock the first time one lands on your plate

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi John welcome to the site and great first post; that sounds like a beautiful place to live.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 31 2009, 11:27 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi John welcome to the site and great first post; that sounds like a beautiful place to live.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Stunning! What other species can be found there John?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey John

Interesting post. Loved the Lake photograph.

Regards David

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 31 2009, 12:25 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Stunning! What other species can be found there John?

In Guatemala we have about 150 listed species. In Lake Peten Itza, according to the locals and what I have discovered we only have about 5.
    Mayan Cichlid (Cichlasoma urophthalmus) Mojarra
    Peten Molly (Poecilia petenensis)
    Moon Silverside (Atherinella argentea) Sardina
    Bay Snook (Petenia splendida) Pez Blanco
    Tropical Gar (Atractosteus tropicus) Sili

The Bay Snook is a Cichlid although not aggressive has an enormouse mouth and can swallow fish half it’s own size. This must be kept in it’s own tank. This is a food fish and is farmed in several locations but not here.

The not so good photo of the baby Bay Snook loses its stripes as it grows up.

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

OMG, what a place to live, i’ve been after poecilia petenensis for years.
    need more pics of the fish, i’m sure there are more in the lake, i’m interested in pics of any other livebearers that might be in there.
    good to have you on the forum

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Aug 31 2009, 03:20 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    OMG, what a place to live, i’ve been after poecilia petenensis for years.
    need more pics of the fish, i’m sure there are more in the lake, i’m interested in pics of any other livebearers that might be in there.
    good to have you on the forum

I had a couple of female Peten Mollys so I sent my young gardener down to the Lake to find some males. He came back with a one inch male and a mixture of half inch babies. They are happily staying together frolicking near the surface. As soon as they settle I will try and get some photos. At this rate I will have to make another tank.
    Now that I am feeding the whole gang the new Tetramin with the added vitamins the cichlids in particular are growing at an alarming rate.

Matt
    Keymaster

I want to see the “moon silverside” as well as more pics of the P. petenensis. *licks lips* Is it an Atherinella?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 31 2009, 07:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I want to see the “moon silverside” as well as more pics of the P. petenensis. *licks lips* Is it an Atherinella?

The Silverside or Sardine as it is called by the locals and other Latin countries, is a fast and constant mover. The largest fish bosses the smaller ones. During their high speed chases it is amazing they don’t hit something.

Having had a good look at the new “male Peten Molly” I am having doubts. It has the Molly fantail but that is about all. The dorsal fin is certainly not right. It is not co-operating with photo ops at the moment.

Attached files

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Aug 31 2009, 08:08 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The Silverside or Sardine as it is called by the locals and other Latin countries, is a fast and constant mover. The largest fish bosses the smaller ones. During their high speed chases it is amazing they don’t hit something.

Having had a good look at the new “male Peten Molly” I am having doubts. It has the Molly fantail but that is about all. The dorsal fin is certainly not right. It is not co-operating with photo ops at the moment.

Peten Molly
    Now I have a problem. The first photo is of the male “Peten Molly” we collected today. We also collected a dozen babies. The females in the school are easily identified. The males in the school are miniature versions of the fish in the photo.

The second photo published by Goliad Farms is identified as a young male Peten Molly collected by Clemson University from Lake Peten. Its sword is just starting to show at the lower edge of the Caudal fin.
    Other photos that I have seen of the male Peten Molly have also been with the large sailfin and similar in body shape.

So, now I have a puzzle. What have I collected from the Lake?

Attached files

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Aug 31 2009, 09:28 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peten Molly
    Now I have a problem. The first photo is of the male “Peten Molly” we collected today. We also collected a dozen babies. The females in the school are easily identified. The males in the school are miniature versions of the fish in the photo.

The second photo published by Goliad Farms is identified as a young male Peten Molly collected by Clemson University from Lake Peten. Its sword is just starting to show at the lower edge of the Caudal fin.
    Other photos that I have seen of the male Peten Molly have also been with the large sailfin and similar in body shape.

So, now I have a puzzle. What have I collected from the Lake?

Problem solved. My collections are Poecilia gillii a very plain looking Molly. It is on the Guatemalan list but with no common name and I overlooked it.
    The hunt is now on for the spectacular Peten Molly.

keith565
    Participant

ah, i have gillii, not as plain as some, males and some females have colour in their dorsal. but still a nice molly.

coelacanth
    Participant

That pic is an Astyanax sp., a tetra.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah I was expecting something more like:

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.