LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Melanotaenia Kamaka

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Melanotaenia Kamaka

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Just shooting a few pics of these guys this morning so thought I’d share. Beautiful fish with a very nice temperament. I got these as frye from breeder on a rainbow forum that I frequent. I just made my first breeding mop as an experiment and collected over 60 eggs from them in 2 days!

This is an older pic but shows some of the colors they can display.

Bully
    Participant

I have to admit that Melanotaenia sp. do nothing whatsoever for me but, you got some great shots there /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> Especially shots 1 and 3

killiguy
    Participant

As people who read my intro will see I love New Guinea rainbows and kamakas are one of my favourites.
    Its often very difficult to appreciate these fish (rainbows in general that is) because they look awful in aquarium stores and even in ideal conditions their color varies throughout the day.To see male rainbows diplaying of a morning is a site to see they can turn colour off and on like lights and can show every colour of the rainbow

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Lovely fish, reminds me of Lacustris (Lake Katubu Rainbow) species in a big way!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks for the comments. Agreed killiguy, my first experiences with rainbows weren’t good. The first were beautifully colored fish, but obviously hybrids. I didn’t know the difference at the time. They were so mean & crazy they totally disrupted the tank. The next batch were weak, fish shop m. praecox that turned out to be laden with cammallanus worms. All but one died.
    I’ve since discovered what rainbowfish should be like and these are a joy! I’ve resolved to only buy them direct from reputable breeders.

Matt
    Keymaster

Always the best way if you can’t get quality wild specimens imo. These are lovely Jim how big are they now?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Matt, The males are 2 1/4″+ tl

Matt
    Keymaster

What does the + signify dude??

Plaamoo
    Participant

+=plus, dude /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Bully
    Participant

Many folks of my age (36) here are stuck between metric and imperial, mostly due to the way we were taught at school where there wasn’t a fixed system in place it seems

boyneburn
    Participant

Nice looking fish.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks boyneburn!

It can be confusing Bully! I’m always changing litres -gallons, mm & cm – inches & fractions. It eould be easier if we had one system but then I guess it would be easier if we had one language also.
    I did some building in NZ and my Kiwi buddy was well versed in both. It was a b*gg*r for me but once I got going, I reckoned that the metric system was actually more sensible.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Nice rainbows!

I don’t have much experience with rainbows ( I’ve only kept some M. maccullochi in the past), but there are some beautiful species. This is certainly one of them.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Henri!^

I collected some eggs from these as my first breeding experiment and things went a bit too well! I have more frye than I know what to do with!! Backpeddling a bit to try to raise them. Where am I going to put another tank???

Matt
    Keymaster

Haha good work Jim! Am sure you’ll find space somewhere.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.