LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Melanotaenia praecox

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Melanotaenia praecox

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mzapater 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Sarabi
    Participant

I’ve kept Praecox Rainbows for some time, but have always had just one male in my school. My male just passed away due to old age, and now I’m thinking of changing the ratios around, and having 6 females and 3 males.
    Right now the tank is exceedingly peaceful, and I want to keep it that way. So I want to know how the males would behave towards each other – I’ve heard that they will “display” or “spar” – what exactly does this entail? Do they ever hurt each other, or will there be a dominant one that picks on the others? Would the fish be less stressed if there was just 1 male instead of 3, or would they pretty much all be happy with 3?
    If anyone could describe in detail how their males behave I would really appreciate it. If anyone knows of where I could see a video of Praecox male interaction that would be good too.
    Also, would the 6 females be more stressed if there were 3 males instead of 1, or would they be fine?
    I just want to make sure that the peace in the tank remains complete.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Quite a few vids on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiFp5LVAdg

In my opinion 3 males & 6 females is a good ratio. You’ll get much better display of color from the males. Rainbows can be frenetic and male/male sparring is great entertainment. As always, individual fish behavior varies and some are more aggressive than others. I would recommend buying stock from a reputable breeder rather than a fish shop. Fish shop hybrids tend to be more aggressive IME.

If you haven’t already, download this and read.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ehmtjmkdkww

Sarabi
    Participant

From the video it doesn’t look like they are actually nipping each other or outright fighting. They’re acting the same way I’ve seen a couple of my females do to each other sometimes. Have you ever seen the males actually nip each other, or is it always just show like that?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I don’t keep praecox at the moment but I have in the past and I’ve watched plenty. I am keeping a few other melanotaenia sp. The only damage I’ve seen is from collisions with tank decor while in a frenzy.

mikev
    Participant

Some nipping does occur when several males are present, in my praecox tank i can see light tail damage in smaller males and females as well, but not in the largest males.

mzapater
    Participant

What do you use for feeding recently hatched fry? I am collecting eggs from a trio now and they seem very small.

Trying to set up a culture with paddy riz, also have small size Golden Pearl food (5-50 microns). Will that work in your experience?

Of course, bbs will be given when they can take them.

Thanks for your help,

Manuel…

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve used the 5-50 golden pearls to get them to artemia. This seems to be common practice. Also Sera micron and A.P.R. Good luck with them!

mikev
    Participant

I totally stopped using GP’s; only APR/Sera/Paramecium now.
    The reason: GP may go bad on you, becoming poison rather than food…even when stored properly. After a miserable month of losing fry of all kinds and not seeing yet why I’ve had it.

Now, GP’s seem to be coming from more than one manufacturer…perhaps they are safer in Europe.

As for the egg size: yes, small, but hardy and fast-growing, so while most bows are ez, praecox are toward the easiest.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Most of my info comes from Mike & a few others on his forum just to add context. I had heard him mention the problems with GPs but didn’t realize it was so severe. I personally have not had an issue but have only purchased one batch. Kept it in the freezer for over a year now, and still using it. Might want to try what you have with a small group as a test?

mikev
    Participant

My episode involved a bag that was kept in the freezer. After about 6 months it started killing fry… and unfortunately it took me quite a while to realize the problem — I was breeding new types of fish at the moment, and was thinking I was hitting some new unusual issues… then I tried it on rainbows and saw near certain wipeouts after a few days… This was it.

This incidentally was one of three separate poisoning issues involving the same reseller but different types of food.

mzapater
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

Collecting 10-12 eggs every day from my fish, some of them should be ready to hatch in a few days. I´ll keep an eye on them.

Cheers,

Manuel…

mzapater
    Participant

First 2 fry hatched today… lets see if I manage to raise them.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Manuel…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.