LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mesonoemacheilus spp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mesonoemacheilus spp.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

The only species I’ve experience with is M. triangularis, and that was only in the shop, but they seemed fairly territorial wee things. Does anyone have experience with any of the other species and how do they compare behaviour-wise?

Cheers

mikev
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 27 2011, 12:41 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The only species I’ve experience with is M. triangularis, and that was only in the shop, but they seemed fairly territorial wee things. Does anyone have experience with any of the other species and how do they compare behaviour-wise?

Cheers

I have a tank with 9 M.guetheri’s … very shy and very mild. No territorial habits whatsoever, the best hiding places are shared.

There is one M. triangularis with them and he does not show territorial behavior either.

Hopefully this is of some use.

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ve watched m. guntheri come & go in the shop for probably 2 years now trying to find a pace to put them. Something else always comes along and takes priority. They seem like Mike said, very easy going. They must be hardy as this shop has issues and i’ve never in all this time seen them sick!

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , thats a fair point about Triangularis , but if anybody wants to keep a group without too much squabbling it can be acheived if the hiding places are omitted , I kept elleven in a 4ft tank with a sand base and a few wool mops for hide outs , they lived together without any tiffs /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> ok the tank was less asthetically pleasing but the fish were placid to each other

Plaamoo
    Participant

That’s interesting Andy. Conventional wisdom, at least what i read most, says more hiding places(enough to go around) is the answer. This says just the opposite. I do see the logic, nothing to fight over.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I got triangularis after my balteata beat the living snot out of each other and the triangularis did exactly the same thing, the more hiding places they have the more they fight for them.

Guentheri on the other hand are total opposite and my group are housed with my sid’s and they are very placid, I also have a possible guetheri variant or Mesonemacheilus Sp and that is in with mixed Schistura’s and that is very placid as well.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the useful input.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

It was a very good weekend Matt, I forgot to take my camera so am waiting for some pics to arrive so that I can post some up here.

I probably enjoyed the Hans Evers and Ralf Britz talks the most, Devin Grahams talk were good but the others were a bit heavy going.

There will be a Loach talk in 2013 by yours truly, next years speakers are already booked.

Got quite a lot of interest in the Loach stand and managed to even convert a couple of catfish people /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 29 2011, 12:16 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for all the useful input.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Plaamoo , I have 3 Balteata cf/s in a 5ft tank with Syncrossus’s beauforti and berdmorei, Y.morleti [skunks ] and 3 Scaphognathus barbs and they seem fine ,they sit on the rocks confidently right up to the last second if one of the big Syncrossus’s is on the move /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Erlend D Bertelsen
    Participant

In the shop I keep like 40 Mesonoemacheilus triangularis in a 128 liter. Only decor is some Anubias spp. They seem peaceful, and easy to keep. They have been in the tank for around four weeks. The biggest problem I got, is that nobody wants to by this nice looking fish!

E

andy rushworth
    Participant

Dont put any solid objects i.e.rocks pebbles in ,all hell will break loose

Plaamoo
    Participant

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Mar 30 2011, 09:28 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Plaamoo , I have 3 Balteata cf/s in a 5ft tank with Syncrossus’s beauforti and berdmorei, Y.morleti [skunks ] and 3 Scaphognathus barbs and they seem fine ,they sit on the rocks confidently right up to the last second if one of the big Syncrossus’s is on the move /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Plaamoo ,they seem to be quite aloof to their tank mates /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

What’s the max observed size of M. triangularis? Everywhere I look it says 5-6cm but I seem to remember Pier Aquatics importing some absolute monsters a year or two back?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.