LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Messing about in Andalucía; birds, butterflies, and other bichos

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Messing about in Andalucía; birds, butterflies, and other bichos

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

My wife and I recently relocated from Barcelona in the north to Málaga in the south of Mediterranean Spain. It is a stunning part of the world with lots of cool wildlife, so having just bought a compact camera with a decent zoom on it (no way to afford a proper telephoto for the SLR right now) I thought it might be nice to start a faintly self-indulgent thread in order to show some of the stuff other than fishes and ‘fibians that we see down here. In particular, Andalucía is a hotspot for birds, and the Straits of Gibraltar represent a key passage point for thousands of raptors, storks and other species migrating between Africa and Europe in spring and autumn. 

We are currently staying with mum-in-law, and her garden is at the top of a cliff overlooking the beach. A pair of Falco tinnunculus (kestrel) have been frequenting these cliffs and the roofs of buildings at their base since late August.

001.jpg

002.jpgOther stuff seen in the garden this week…

Sylvia melanocephala (Sardinian warbler), male

001-1.jpg

Passer domesticus (house sparrow), male

002-1.jpg

Carduelis carduelis (goldfinch), male

004.jpg

Sturnus unicolor (spotless starling)

003.jpg

Myiopsitta monachus (monk parakeet), an introduced and increasingly invasive species.

005.jpg

Streptopelia decaocto (collared dove)

006.jpg

Vanessa atalanta (red admiral)

007.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Our local spot for birding is a series of lagoons at the mouth of the Río Guadalhorce in Málaga. On Monday it was windy so not much about that I could get pics of.

Himantopus himantopus (black-winged stilt)

001-2.jpg

Tachybaptus ruficollis (little grebe)

003-2.jpg

Oxyura leucocephala (white-headed duck), male and female.

008.jpg

009.jpg

Phalacrocorax carbo (cormorant) – large numbers of overwintering birds currently at the site.

010.jpg

Identification required; Circus aeruginosus (marsh harrier) @coelacanth @colin ?

012.jpg

011.jpg

Finally, some shots of the site.

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Nice pics. Your harrier, at least in the first pic, has the look of an osprey to me.

Matt
    Keymaster

Aaaah, certainly wouldn’t be the first sighting here. Cheers Graham, and glad you enjoyed the pics! Presumably you like a nice bird too?Laugh

On Wednesday we took a drive to El Torcal de Antequera, a lump of uplifted seabed that currently forms a small karstic range with impressive rock formations and nice views over the Montes de Málaga and Río Guadalhorce valley. It was super-windy and there was a little ice on the ground so not much life about (it is usually good for raptors here), but we came prepared for cold conditions and had a great time!

View from El Torcal towards Montes de Málaga (left and centre), Med in the background and the Guadalhorce Valley with airport visible in the centre-right.

001-3.jpg

Typical rock formations at El Torcal – look at the trees to understand the magnitude.

002-3.jpg

Deep(-ish) inside El Torcal…

003-3.jpg

When the sun comes out, which is usual (our day was a bit odd weather-wise due to the recent cold snap in Spain), El Torcal really is gorgeous.

004-2.jpg

One of the advantages of sh**y weather is the lack of other simians! We managed to get right up inside a group of Capra pyrenaica (ssp. hispanica; southeastern Spanish ibex), which there’s little chance of seeing if the place is full of monkeys as in summer.

Mum ibex.

005-2.jpg

Dad

008-1.jpg

Munchkin

006-2.jpg

Goat face…

013.jpg

Goat biotope

007-1.jpg

Will resist obvious gag for fear of chauvinistic accusations, as males of Parus major (great tit) and Cyanistes caeruleus (blue tit) share a perch).

012-2.jpg

Female Phoenicurus ochruros (black redstart)

014.jpg

Galerida theklae (Thekla lark – think so)?

015.jpgç

Cheers, goat-and-bird world!

010-1.jpg

We decided to return by the original way rather than autopista, which was waaay prettier!

Looking back at El Torcal from the town of Villanueva de la Concepción.

000.jpg

The Río Campaníllas drains this part of the sierra, but it is dead in terms of native ichthyofauna.

0000.jpg

Looking back at El Torcal from the Río Campanillós valley.

00000.jpg

Reason the river is knackered? Literally, centuries of dam construction for agriculture on its affluents, and more recently a series of hydroelectric projects over its short (50 km approx.) length have completely destroyed the sub aquatic ecosystem. The lakes have been artificially stocked with notoriously destructive invaders such as Cyprinus carpio (common carp) and Micropterus salmoides (black bass), and in terms of autochthonous fishes we’ve never found a thing of note here, even in the  relatively clean upper reaches.

011-1.jpg

Although heavily-altered from its natural state, much of Málaga province is beautiful at this time of year, however, with almond trees blossoming everywhere. Could be a lot worse!

000000-1.jpg

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Yes I’ve been watching birds since I was a kid. I did a fair bit when I was in the RAF back in the 80s. Locally around the Eden estuary in Fife and abroad in Cyprus, Falkland Islands etc. Also did a lot when I lived in Saudi Arabia (recorded first breeding of Vanellus leucurus and first record of Saxicola caprata). I should try and do more now, plenty to see here.

Your lark looks more chunky and shorter-billed than the zillions of crested larks I’ve seen so thekla seems reasonable to me but it’s not a bird I’m at all familiar with.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Lots of great pics Matt, thanks for sharing! Love the goat biotope! :)

Matt
    Keymaster

If you ever fancy a trip over, Graham…

Cheers Jim, I am currently unemployed so trying to get out of the house as much as possible hehe.

Some more stuff seen around the house and vicinity over the last few days.

Loxia curvirostra (crossbill). Juvenile?

002-4.jpg

Lots more M. monachus – they are everywhere in the urbanised part of the costa and are apparently outcompeting native birds in some cases.

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

Motacilla alba (white wagtail), male.

006-3.jpg

Identification required – two pics of the same bird. Closest I’ve managed is Locustella naevia (grasshopper warbler) but that would be pretty odd in these parts.

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

There is a little-used road that exits Torremolinos, passes under the autopista and leads into the Sierra de Mijas, not 10 minutes from ‘home’.

009-2.jpg

Falco tinnunculus (kestrel) quartering the mountainside.

010-2.jpg

Saxicola torquatus (stonechat), male.

011-2.jpg

Fringilla coelebs (chaffinch), male.

013-1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Took a short trip to El Chorro and Laguna Fuente de Piedra on Tuesday and Wednesday.

At El Chorro the road we wanted to take was closed for maintenance so we decided to go to a nearby feeding station to see if we could get good views of Gyps fulvus (griffon vulture) from there. The station is not officially open to the public but can be approached, just be prepared for the awful stench! There were a few individuals sitting in the trees as we arrived, then suddenly the sky turned black and we were surrounded by at least 200 vultures, some of which flew within a few metres of us as they whirled on the thermals above the gorge. A small group could also be seen fighting over something on the rocks below. Spectacular!

001-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

007-3.jpg

Now for my next victim…

002-5.jpg

The feeding station is fenced for protection of both birds and humans since it occupies a rocky ledge at the top of a huge limestone precipice.

008-3.jpg

Driving out of El Chorro.

009-3.jpg

We stayed in a cabin near the town of Fuente de Piedra and the next morning I was up at dawn for a quick pre-breakfast foray to the lagoon. It is a very important site for waterbirds year-round, and in winter is home to tens of thousands of overwintering gulls.

012-3.jpg

013-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

019.jpg

The lake is one of the most important sites for Phoenicopterus roseus (greater flamingo) in Europe, and in favourable years as many as 20,000 breeding pairs can be found. Here, two first year birds enjoy the sunrise.

016.jpg

A small group of adults.

018.jpg

017.jpg

We did a leisurely tour of the unnamed roads surrounding the lagoon during the course of the day and saw plenty of other species, including:

S. torquatus and lots of other small passerines everywhere.

021.jpg

Gallinago gallinago (snipe)

022.jpg

Anas crecca (teal), male

023.jpg

Himantopus himantopus (black-winged stilt)026.jpg

Limosa limosa (black-tailed godwit)

027.jpg

P1010222.jpg

Vanellus vanellus (northern lapwing)

032.jpg

Lanius meridionalis (Iberian grey shrike)

035.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

Significant numbers of overwintering Grus grus (crane) in fields surrounding the lake.

036.jpg

034.jpg

Oryctolagus cuniculus (European rabbit)

025.jpg

At our final stop of the day we found a much bigger group of 200 or so flamingos at the far end of the lagoon, and very distant. Pic only shows a few of them.

037.jpg

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Think your grasshopper warbler is a pipit. Check out those hind claws.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Graham, any opinion on species? Tree or meadow maybe?

Not much about at the Guadalhorce yesterday due to terrible wind, but did get good views of a young Aguila pennata (booted eagle – pale morph).

004-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

@matt said:
    Cheers Graham, any opinion on species? Tree or meadow maybe?

The long hind claws and thin bill are characteristics of Anthus pratensis – meadow pipit.

coelacanth
    Participant

I agree on the Osprey, that was my first thought, only just seen this, need to check my notification settings. Same on the Pipit, although I don’t profess to be able to distinguish LBJs, if it’s by seacliffs I call it a Rock Pipit, inland on grass a Meadow Pipit. Wouldn’t know how to tell either from a Tree Pipit (except for being up a tree, which any of them could be).

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers both, also have plenty of trouble with LBJ’s.Confused

On Monday we visited a nest of Aquila fasciata (Bonelli’s eagle) in the Sierra Mijas. Apologies for the images – the nest and birds were quite distant but we didn’t want to get any closer for fear of disturbing the pair, which are currently incubating. Superb views through the binoculars and scope though.

Looking down at the Costa del Sol from the habitat.

001-5.jpg

The cliff where the eagles have their nest.

002-6.jpg

The nest is the mass of twigs and branches, most of which is concealed in a crevice, in the centre of the pic. It is massive!

003-5.jpg

Two bad pics of what we assume to be the male.

004-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

On the way back down, a small troop of ibex on the opposite side of the gorge.

007-5.jpg

Wild orchid (Ophrys sp.?) beginning to flower.

006-5.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Next day we went to the nearby Sierra de las Nieves to search for a reported Aquila chrysaetos (golden eagle) pair.

This valley contains one of the last remaining tracts of alcornoque (cork oak) forest remaining in Málaga province.

001-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

Spring is arriving to the mountains!

003-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

005-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-6.jpg

013-3.jpg

Searching for eagles…

015-2.jpg

…and we found them! Mostly flying very high but they were performing pre-nuptial antics for a good while which was amazing to watch.

008-4.jpg

009-4.jpg

Final sight of the day as we drove out of the park was a large group of Ovis orientalis musimon (mouflon) grazing on the grassy lower slopes.

011-3.jpg

012-4.jpg

014-1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

The pre-nuptial migration over the Straits of Gibraltar has started.

Species to make the crossing this early include Circaetus gallicus (short-toed eagle), Milvus migrans (black kite), and Ciconia ciconia (white stork). While the former tend to cross individually or in small groups, both of the latter tend to form large flocks.

Our first lookout point of the day, south of the city of Algeciras:

005.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Second lookout, with the Mediterranean Sea to our left and Pacific Ocean on the right:

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Third stop right on the coast, north of Tarifa. The birds seen here are black kites but by this point the day was warmer and they were passing much higher.

016.jpg

017-2.jpg

014.jpg

It was a relatively quiet day, migration-wise, so we moved over to La Janda, a huge ex-wetland now drained and used primarily for rice-growing.

021.jpg

022.jpg

027.jpg

Emberiza calandra (corn bunting)

020.jpg

Young male Saxicola torquatus (stonechat)?

052.jpg

Egretta garzetta (little egret)

055.jpg

Male Phasianus colchicus (pheasant)

056.jpg

Distant group of Platalea leucorodia (spoonbill)

058.jpg

Milvus migrans (black kite)

059.jpg

060.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.