LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mick, How Critical Is Hardness?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mick, How Critical Is Hardness?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Reva 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

I was wondering if Fish Sensei Mick would enlighten me about water hardness and it’s effect on barbs. Most books say that water quality is not critical to the more common barbs…yes I am talking about the head standing tiger barbs again /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

it is a bit high as is your temp but being in the US i suppose it’s hard to lower it, if you could lower the hardness to about 8-10 you might see a difference.
    i don’t think the ctenopoma would give the barbs a fright but the head standing could also be they’re wary of it.
    whats the botia? is it a clown or a yoyo.
    if it’s poss to lower the temp try to get it to around the 72F mark.

mick

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Jun 29 2008, 10:11 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    whats the botia? is it a clown or a yoyo?

Neither…it is a school of four botia striata…
    it is a 37gal (US) tall tank with bogwood/java fern, several decorations that provide caves. other tank mates : 2 kribs, 1 teenie gyrinocheilus aymoneiri, 1 teenie pleco, 3 leopard bush fish , two of which are no bigger than a good sized cardinal tetra, but the original guy is about the size of a Congo Tetra

Thank you for the tip about the temperature. Should I move the botia to a different tank? I havent noticed them being particularly naughty

mickthefish
    Participant

no Reva they’re fine, iv’e gota shoal of them myself they’re one of my favourites.
    all the fish sound fine together but if you can reduce the hardness abit you should see results.

mick

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Jun 29 2008, 10:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    no Reva they’re fine, iv’e gota shoal of them myself they’re one of my favourites.
    all the fish sound fine together but if you can reduce the hardness abit you should see results.

mick

Thanks Mick, will go purchase some water softener pillow and bottled water tomorrow.

mickthefish
    Participant

Reva, has the hardness started dropping now, and how are the barbs acting now if it’s dropped?.

mick

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Jul 4 2008, 07:59 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Reva, has the hardness started dropping now, and how are the barbs acting now if it’s dropped?.

mick

Hi Mick, the hardness is dropping..will measure again tomorrow..too tired tonight after major holiday here….
    I lost one barb yesterday, and noticed another one looked chewed up on his side. So I took all the striata out and put them in the rainbow tank with the clown botia and angelicus botia. Everyone on rainbow tank acting normal, and the barbs have colored up better, but are still doing some head standing. I think the striata were a bad little gang /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

Sofia

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 6 2008, 07:15 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Everyone on rainbow tank acting normal, and the barbs have colored up better, but are still doing some head standing. I think the striata were a bad little gang /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

Oh, I do hope that the barbs get better as time progresses. Good luck

mickthefish
    Participant

that could of been why they lacked colour, but normally striata are docile little fish?.
    glad the hardness is coming down for you and sorry for the barb, i don’t like losing fish either.

mick

Reva
    Participant

thanks Sophia /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Reva, what’s an “angelicus botia” hun? B. kubotai?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 7 2008, 10:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Reva, what’s an “angelicus botia” hun? B. kubotai?

Angelicus Botia as far as i know is

Attached files

Reva
    Participant

Yes Matt, Malti is right. it is B.kubotai /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” /> I slipped into scientific names again! must be because you called me hun /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> (I just love that)

but am I a hun as in Attilla or a hun as in sticky sweet? hmmmmmm? /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />
    oops…did it again…poor Richy will be in the corner all alone at this rate..*sigh*

I also have some Yasuhikotakia modesta

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Reva @ Jul 7 2008, 10:02 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes Matt, Malti is right. it is B.kubotai /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” /> I slipped into scientific names again! must be because you called me hun /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> (I just love that)

but am I a hun as in Attilla or a hun as in sticky sweet? hmmmmmm? /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />
    oops…did it again…poor Richy will be in the corner all alone at this rate..*sigh*

I also have some Yasuhikotakia modesta /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

with the sword of yours I’d say you’re Attila’s sis

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 7 2008, 10:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    welcome /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

thanks sis….I had to lead weapons class yesterday, so I guess I was fierce /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> Keep em confused girl, that’s what I say! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.