LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Microctenopoma ansorgii

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Microctenopoma ansorgii

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

junebug
    Participant

Does anyone know of some inverts and schooling fish appropriate to a true m. ansorgii biotope?  I’m working on one, and would really like to add some movement to the tank.  I was thinking Barbus hulstaerti would be a good choice, as they seem to occur in the same sort of environment as the ansorgii.  

I have been able to find almost 0 information on specific collection data for m. ansorgii, so I’m just stuck looking at other fish from the Congo Basin and extrapolating from there.

george
    Participant

http://www.coastfishclub.com/The_Ornate_Ctenopoma.pdf : “come from shallow water around Stanley Pool in West Africa”

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Microctenopoma-ansorgii.html : “verified from the Chiloango River, and widespread in the central Congo basin; possibly also in the Nyong”

Gloups
    Participant

I have captured some Microctenopoma ansorgii… 30 years ago in central Zaïre! I remember that they were living among submersed dead leaves litter, with the top water barely visible, which was striking. The closest fishes regarding this specific habitat are certainly some Aphyosemion of the elegans group. Barbus hulstaerti was also present, but in the flowing water of the nearby small stream, together with some small cichlids, Epiplatys and some nice looking Procatopodinae.

hachge
    Participant

In congo Brazzaville I collected them back in the 80′ in a pool with slow running water and 2 differents procatopus and catfisch,and cichlids differents species depending locations.

Matt
    Keymaster

Superb info Gloups and Herve! Would you say that the habitats permanent or seasonal?

junebug
    Participant

Oh my gosh guys, thanks so much!  So excited to hear from people who have actually been there and done that!

I did end up getting B. hulstaerti (good my research proved correct).   However, a friend who’s bred ansorgii advised not to put them in the tank.  Because my intent is to breed the ansorgii, I don’t want to put the (very expensive) B. hulstaerti at risk of getting attacked for eating the occasional fry.  So they are going in their own tank LOL.

I wish we could “like” posts here.  Everyone would be getting thumbs up! 

olly
    Participant

Males in a fight.

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-2.jpg

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-4.jpg

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-5.jpg

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-6.jpg

Microctenopoma-ansorgii.jpg

Male in the calm state.

Microctenopoma-ansorgi-3i.jpg

Female.

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-female.jpg

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-female2.jpg

junebug
    Participant

Here are some photos of the tank from today.  A new air pump for the hamburg filter wall is on its way, should be here tomorrow.  After that I plan to remove the airstone, and no equipment will be visible inside the tank.

Hopefully the plant roots will grow along the wall and cover the foam.  When I move in a few weeks, I also plan to cover it with sand again before putting it back together. :)

DSCF8443-1280x960.jpg

DSCF8444-1280x960.jpg

DSCF8445-1280x960.jpg

DSCF8448-1280x960.jpg

DSCF8441-1280x960.jpg

DSCF8442-1280x960.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Great stuff both – it is really about time that we have some profiles for this genus…

olly
    Participant

Male and female together.

IMG_7490Microctenopoma-ansorgii-1.jpg

IMG_7531Microctenopoma-ansorgii-1.jpg

IMG_7551Microctenopoma-ansorgii-1.jpg

Male, pic without the flashlight.

Microctenopoma-ansorgii-male-1.jpg

Subordinate pose of the male when he sees a dominant male: presses fins to the body and raises several anterior rays of the dorsal fin.

IMG_7501Microctenopoma-ansorgii-1.jpg

They are still young. About 1,5 years. It is written that their sexual maturation occurs in the age of 1,5-2 years. Looking forward…

Matt
    Keymaster

In my experience, you will know when they are mature as the males start to really batter each other. Please do keep this updated with your findings guys.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.