LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mictoctenopoma ansorgii tankmates

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mictoctenopoma ansorgii tankmates

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Des 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JK91
    Participant

Hi all,

Recently I’ve purchased a fish tank, with measurements 95x80x50 cm or 37x31x20 in inches. A nice tank for dwarf cichlids. Yet, after 10 years of keeping fish mainly from South America, I’m leaning towards a West African orientated tank. Something new to keep things interesting.

The fish I’d like to keep are Microctenopoma ansorgii. I struggle to come up with the right tankmates, though.

I know Barbus hulstaerti are found, or closely found, with M. ansorgii, but I’m afraid that they’ll be eaten once the M. ansorgii are big enough. I’ve seen a post on SF of someone who stated his/hers M. ansorgii ate adult P. gertrudae. If I recall correctly, P. gertrudae grow a little larger than B. hulstaerti, so I guess that’s a no-go.

Other fish I thought of are Neolebias ansorgii, Epiplatys dageti, Aphyosemion sp. and Aplocheilichthys normani, but the only ones I’m sure are safe from being eaten, are E. dageti.

I’ve thought of¬†Alestopetersius sp. and Phenacogrammus, but I believe they prefer more water movement and are too large and active for M. ansorgii.¬†

Do any of you have suggestions of what to keep with M. ansorgii but are still found, preferbly, with M. ansorgii or atleast from West Africa?

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey

Des
    Participant

I wouldn’t be too worried about them eating their tank mates. They are a small micro predator. I have 3 ( 2m 1f ) with a group of 10 Enteromius fasciolatus, 5 unidentified Microalestes ? and a pair of Pelvicachromis sacrimontis. They are quite outgoing particularly when there is food about. Mine eat every thing that is offered , frozen , flake , live and even the pellets that you stick to the glass, and are well able to get their share. I have been told that they hide away if kept in a species set up. They do like floating plants for top cover. Regarding current the tank ; there will always be quieter areas which is where the floating plants will gather.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.