LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mixing Rainbow Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Mixing Rainbow Fish

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Eyrie 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Canadian Fish
    Participant

Hi, I currently have 8 red platies and 8 zebra danios in a 55 gallon tank.

My LFS is getting an order of rainbow fish this week and I would like to stock a small school.

They expect to get some Australian (Murray River), Red Irian, Turquoise (Lake Kutubu), and Boseman’s rainbow fish.

I was wondering if I could get 2 each of 3 different types, or 3 each of 2 different types, or if I have to get a school of 5 or 6 of all the same?

Thanks!

Eyrie
    Participant

It would need to be a single species shoal of 6-7 fish to get the best out of them.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Many rainbowfish keepers keep various sp together but 2 of each, as Eyrie said, is not enough. A single sp. group of 5 or more would be much nicer. Those species that you listed grow fairly large at 4+ in. There are many smaller sp. that would allow more fish in your tank.
    Have a look here.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Canadian Fish
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 12 2012, 03:38 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It would need to be a single species shoal of 6-7 fish to get the best out of them.

Is a 48″ x 12.5″ x 21″ tank big enough for two shoals of 6 fish each? (So twelve rainbowfish total, six of each type) or would it be best to stick to one shoal of six fish in this size tank?

Can I add 6 fish to the aquarium at once, or should I add 3 at a time?

I run two Aquaclear 70 filters.

Thanks for the info.

Eyrie
    Participant

With eight platies and eight zebra danios already there, I would say that there is only room for one shoal.

Do you still have room in your 20G to move the platies back?

Canadian Fish
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 13 2012, 02:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    With eight platies and eight zebra danios already there, I would say that there is only room for one shoal.

Do you still have room in your 20G to move the platies back?

If I kept the Platies, would I have room for 6 Red Rainbowfish and 6 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish?

Thanks!

Eyrie
    Participant

Just answered in the other thread!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.