LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

More goby question for Jutta (bumphead goby)

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes More goby question for Jutta (bumphead goby)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Jutta, Do you per chance know anything about this ?

Trying to track this down … the name does not seem valid even if it can be found on the web… is it Redigobius isognathus perhaps?
    Also, there seems to be a lengthy discussion of the fish here.. do the say anything about maintenance and breeding?

Thanks!

Ferrika
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I only found three pics and descriptions for this name. All show a Mugilogobius, but what species, I don’t know. I myself have never heard this term.

Mugilogobius breading has been succsefull by Michael Taxacher. They are feeded with Euplotes. But they are brackish, you know?

mikev
    Participant

Hi Jutta,

You saw the photo linked above too, right? Just in case, http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y410/TheWetSpotTropicalFish/Gobies%20and%20Gudgeons/Mugligobiusseperata.jpg.

Very interesting about success in breeding… any more info/link? (which species?) Euplotes should be obtainable/culturable, I think.

They are not all brackish… m.rexi I believe is freshwater (harder water, Celebes lakes), cf. Glaser’s page. And this bumphead goby a couple of links also mentioned Celebes… this is why I asked you.

Matt
    Keymaster

Also native to Sulawesi are M. adeia, M. amadi, M. latifrons, M. lepidotus, M. sarasinorum and M. zebra.

BigTom
    Participant

@matt said:
    Also native to Sulawesi are M. adeia, M. amadi, M. latifrons, M. lepidotus, M. sarasinorum and M. zebra.

Saw some M. sarasinorum in Maidenhead in Edinburgh recently, very attractive fish.

mikev
    Participant

details on Taxacher’s work are in English, in “Fishes of Sahul” December 2011 … need to ask an ANGFA member for a copy. He worked with m.chulae.

Ferrika
    Participant

Sorry, the Sulawesi species I forgot completly. They are always separate species for me, far away from all others :-)

And I’m not sure, that M. rexi are really Mugilogobius. I don’t think so. They look like Sleeper Gobies and behave that way. I think always, there must be an error in the determination.
    The Sulawesi species are the only known freshwater Mugilogobius. All other are brakish. When the “bumphead goby” is native from Celebes, maybe, they live in freshwater. You must test it. I can’t tell you anything about them. But Celebes has got very hard water, I know (> 20° dGH).

Michael worked with M. chulae, right.
    Euplotes you can cultivate by completely overfed a Brachionus breeding. Although it stinks, but as you get adequate amounts. Whether they work also in M. separata, I don’t know. In the other Sulawesi gobies we have not come further with Euplotes. This is very difficult, but rewarding task. So come on, do you get to work!

mikev
    Participant

There is a bit more info here on an attempt to reproduce this with Australian species by Dave Wilson.

Yeah, m.rexi you are likely right. Unfortunately, there is no genetic data on it out, otherwise we could have checked this. (genbank has cytb for several mugilogobius but not rexi).

So come on, do you get to work!

Nay, not now…. need to deal with problematic species I have already first…. but eventually sure. But here is something interesting to try: is it possible that Euplotes would help with Empire Gudgeon too?

Ferrika
    Participant

No, we’ve tried that but it dosn’t work. Unfortunately the Euplotes are to big Surprised

mikev
    Participant

Well… good you tried.

Talking m.rexi, look here.

As for brackish fish: actually I do have a periodic urge to plunge… not with migulogobius, but something within my limited skills, like S.sadanundio. Fighting the urge :(

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.