LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mormyrus Tapirus Gnathonemus Petersii

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mormyrus Tapirus Gnathonemus Petersii

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eyrie 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

psunith
    Participant

1. Can both these go with cichlids?

2. I have a 168 litre/38 US Gallon/45 UK Gallons tank. I have 5 Angel Fishes, Few tetras, 2 Gnathonemus petersii & 2 Mormyrus tapirus. The angel fishes are developing red patches on their mouth & along the fins, my understanding is they r bacterial infections.

a) can i use melafix or pimafix with all these types?

b) how can i treat & cure this infection?

Please help

Kind Regards

Philip in United Arab Emirates.

Matt
    Keymaster

Both those species grow pretty large so your tank might not prove big enough long-term.

Can you get images of the affected angel fish? As far as I know Melafix is an organic product (tea tree oil?) so should be ok with the mormyrids but maybe wait for confirmation from others…

keith565
    Participant

i’m pretty certain melafix and pimafix are both ok with mormyrids. it does sound like a bacterial infection to me. you could start with half doses and work up to full dose. i think you can increase the dosage in severe cases. you could also try using some aquarium salt as well as melafix,but i’m not sure about the effect the salt would have on the mormyrids.
    i agree the tank will eventually become to small for the fish you already have.
    the momyrids like a peaceful/quiet tank as they are nervous fish. i would keep them with other like minded fish and as for as cichlids go, it depends what ones you are thinking of.

Eyrie
    Participant

Melafix is indeed tea tree oil.

Philip, could you post as much of the information requested in the sticky as you can please? There will be an underlying cause of the bacteria infection and identifying that will stop it coming back.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.