LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Multigene phylogeny of cyprinodontiform fishes

Home Forums Ichthyology Multigene phylogeny of cyprinodontiform fishes

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  coelacanth 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

coelacanth
    Participant

Matt
    Keymaster

Valencia as ancestor of Aphanius!

coelacanth
    Participant

No Orestias annoyingly, or Goodeids, or Anablepidae.
    I’d like to see more work done on this, look how far apart Epiplatys and Aplocheilus are! (I’d always assumed those were all part of an African/Asian radiation where the dessication of the ME, western Asia and eastern Africa had removed evidence apart from fossil taxa like Kenyaichthys)
    Rather messes with easy categories, Certainly the BKA and the AKA etc. must be having identity crises!

Matt
    Keymaster

Given this a thorough read now. Really interesting paper and throws up some nice questions, but agree with Pete re. the missing groups. Forgive the earlier post, Valencia is recovered as sister to Aphanius here.

coelacanth
    Participant

Looking over the tree again, I’d like to hear how this has been received within the field. The Fishbase team must be holding their heads and groaning if this is accepted. There are a number of obvious “eh?” situations.

Matt
    Keymaster

How do you feel about the use of aquarium strains in the analysis?

coelacanth
    Participant

If I understand it correctly, that term has only been used where provenance wasn’t available. Assuming due diligence was carried out for ID of those samples (and I doubt it would matter if the Xiphophorus had a bit of mixed blood, for example), I don’t see a problem with it, indeed I think it potentially shows good scientific use of aquarium collections.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.