LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

My 46 Gallon Bowfront

Home Forums My Aquarium My 46 Gallon Bowfront

This topic contains 42 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

stusimpala

Here is a picture of my 46 gallon bowfront. I started it in November of 2008.

Stock list:

Roseline Shark x6
    Kribensis (Breeding Pair)
    Rainbow Shark x1
    German Blue Ram x1
    Rummy Nose Tetra x6
    Asian Rummynose x7

I use Eco-complete substrate with no CO2. I use an Aqua-Glo Light.

I am still adding more plants, and I would like your opinions of what I have so far and any suggestions for upgrading.

Thanks

Before

I just upgraded to a new Hagen HO T5 double light fixture with a Power-Glo and a Life-Glo bulb.

Here is a pic of my Roselines.

I am planning to add some dwarf hairgrass to start a forground carpet.

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

it looks a good setup so far but i would move the anubias in the foreground further to the back of the tank.
    once your kribs start to breed i can see big problems in the tank as they will terrorise the rest of the tankmates.

mick

stusimpala

The kribs have already bred in the past. They did get a bit territorial, but the other fish seemed to be okay. The kribs would not stray too far from the eggs, so there seemed to be plenty of room for the other fish.

mickthefish
    Participant

are the kribs adults or still youngsters as i’ve seen a male krib around 3 1/2 inches long see of a 12 inch black shark and it was terrified.

mick

stusimpala

The kribs are adults. You can sort of make out the male if you zoom in on the picture, he is underneath the school of rummy nose tetra.

Do you have any suggestions as to lighting and CO2. I am definitely unexperienced and unknowledgable in these areas.

stusimpala

Nobody else wants to comment? That makes me sad.

Matt
    Keymaster

Perhaps try adding a ‘Sunglo’ light tube or two? I never used CO2 either but those bulbs used to work for me when growing plants, especially in combo with a substrate fetiliser which I see you’re already using.

Nice to see someone keeping Sawbwa.

stusimpala

I’ve got one “Aqua-Glo” light. It supposed to put out 90 LUX. Is that enough?
    My light fixture will only hold one bulb. Should I upgrade?

And I love my Swabwa as well. I had them special ordered from my LFS. I am still looking for a couple of females, as they were only able to order males.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm not questions I can answer tbh as I’m no equipment expert. Maybe Bluedave, Eyrie, ndc or someone will be along to assist further.

Sawbwa females are a nightmare to get hold of. Whereabouts do you live?

oaken
    Participant

Lights with high PUR (Photosynthetic Usable Radiation) are generally a good choice for plants. PUR is pretty complicated so I can’t explain it any further, but heres a list of a lot of common light tubes and their PUR-values (the higher the better):

http://www.defblog.se/permalink/1402.html

I use Philips TLD840 on all my tanks as I don’t like the colour of Philips Aquarelle and such.

stusimpala

I live in northern Ohio.

I did a bit more research, and I think I am gonna get the Hagen GLO T5 HO lighting system, with a Power-Glo bulb and a Life-Glo bulb. Do you guys think that this will be too much light?

Thanks again.

Bluedave
    Participant

Hi Stusimpala,

Sorry for the late reply! Between Work, moving house and planting glossostigma I haven’t had much time on here!! lol

Answer to your first question – I don’t think you have to do to much to your set up, it looks good. Everything is opinion (beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that…). If it was me
    I would move the anubias back a bit like mick said and also move back the plants next to it (to the right) I would then look at some foreground plants to cover the substrate at the front.

It’s a decent size tank so I would go for something a bit bigger than the normal carpet foreground plants. If you want the carpet effect go for Ech. Tenellus or Eleocharis parvula, another alternative that I used in a bigger tank was Ech. Quadricostatus (sp?) – they all grow fairly well without CO2.

I reckon you’ve got the background covered once the Vallis at the back grows a bit.

On your lighting question – you’ve got only 0.65 Watt per Gallon (WPG) at the minute – thats very low. The plants will do much better if you get the lighting level up to about 1.5 WPG (mid level lighting). You will also get away without using CO2 at this lighting level (any higher i.e. > 2WPG and I would recommend CO2).

What ferts are you adding, the plants will do much better with regular water column dosing. I would also encorage you to use CO2 even at lower light levels as this has remarkable affects on plant growth. On smaller tanks a lot of people use Easy Life Easy carbo, which is carbon in a liquid form. Dead easy to use. I’ve never used it before as I usually use pressurised or DIY CO2 but I am just about to experiment with it on a little 12 litre nano that I have set up temporarily during the move.

I was looking at the Hagen GLO lights the other day – they look good. I would go for the double 39W unit which would give you 1.7 WPG – perfect for a non-pressurised CO2 system.

The extra light will also help stop your limnophilia going leggy (growing taller with long gaps between nodes) and it should grow more compact and ‘bushier’. What temp is the tank at as I find that a high temp also makes Limnophilia grow leggy.

Hope all that helps – more pics of your tank would be great!

stusimpala

First of all, thanks for all of the imput. It’s a lot of help. /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />
    I will do some more research on carpet plants, because they are pretty hard to find around my area.

And I am still saving up a couple more bucks for the Hagen Glo lighting.

I’ll get more pictures up when I get some more time to take them.

Bluedave
    Participant

QUOTE (stusimpala @ Jun 18 2009, 03:37 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I will do some more research on carpet plants, because they are pretty hard to find around my area.

Ok, how about we do it the other way round – what can you get hold of and we’ll let you know what will work where?

How about mail order – thats how I get most of my plants now.

stusimpala

I’ve seen Glosso and Dwarf Hairgrass recently. A couple months back I have seen chain sword available.

I like the look of the Dwarf Hairgrass…I’m thinking of giving that a go.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.