LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

My Betta Macrostoma Project

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes My Betta Macrostoma Project

This topic contains 75 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  oaken 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

The idea is to:

share and gather info/problems from aquarists that have successfully kept and bred this beautiful fish

Number of wild caught fishes: 21 pairs and 8 males and 3 young females

3 pairs and the 8 males and 3 females collected from Marudi

Tank size: 18″x18″x18″

Water source:Rainwater pH6.4 – 6.8

Tank pH :3.8-4.5:now maintain at 4.2 (lowered by using SERA pH Down)

Temperature:25C

Decor:Java Moss and driftwood
    Leaf litter from Marudi

Aeration:airstone connected to air pump

Filtration:None

Tank setup:21.09.08

Water into tanks:22.09.08 (rain water collected from a heavy downpour on that day was used;5% of aged water was added)

Fish transfered into tanks:22.09.08 (late evening)

Here’s some pics:

Betta macrostoma collected “not from Marudi”

Betta macrostoma collected from Marudi

Some of the frequently asked questions(and my opinion that follows)

How to keep them alive???
    This is a good question as how many of us managed to keep them alive for more than 6 months.I believe the reason why many of us cant keep them alive for long period is partly due to the poor collection and handling during transportation.In general,SOME of the collectors use oil drums to store the macs.Collection can take a few days before the right number is achieved for the order by customers.And earlier most of these collectors who comprises from the kampong folks lack the understanding to maintain the fish.

These macs come from cool running water habitat,any sudden drastic change of temperature/pH may be harmful for them.I also suspect the wild caught macs are sensitive to even treated tap water.

On the outbreak of diseases,can macs be cured using the many types of medication in the market?
    This relates back to the handling and transportation,if the fish arrived to you in a bad condition,there is no medication in the world that can cure them.Most of these i suspected are internal diseases.Recently a pair of my mac developed what look like fungal infection on the tail area with white films engulfing the tail.I thought that would be it.The fish would be a gonna soon.It was also swimming funny.I dose methylene blue with salt to the tank.In about 3 hours the film was almost gone and the fish was healthy by the 3rd day.

It has also been suggested that since macs are prone to diseases,it would be wise not to overstock the tank with more than a pair.During spawning season,the males or females will fight and nibble at each other.The resulting wounds will usually lead to an infection.So the rule of the thumb is to house each pair separately.However,males or females also fight especially when the other partner is “not ready yet”.So other than to provide plenty of hiding place,separating them would be a good solution.

Do they need chiller to keep and breed?
    I have kept my macs for about 7 mths now outdoor.So there is no problem with temperature to maintain them.By the way my outdoor temperature is 27 – 28C.On the breeding aspect,i have setup a few tanks outdoor to which i hope to answer you soon.

Whats the difference between the Brunei and Marudi macs?
    I say no difference.Marudi is a district in Sarawak located near Brunei.And Marudi is a town that is regularly flooded.So it is logical to assume that some of these fishes could be moving from Brunei to Marudi and vice versa.However if you ask me which mac is beautiful,Marudi or Brunei,i say Brunei.The reason is because collection and trading of macs from/in Brunei is illegal.That means you get to see the nice adult colorful macs from Brunei than from Marudi.In certain parts of Brunei,the macs can be found by small streams near the roadside.In short,the macs from Marudi has been overfished due to demand.Recently there was a group of japanese people who in Marudi.They spend the whole day and managed to catch only 6 tails of juvenile macs.

oaken
    Participant

Very interesting project. Good luck with it

Matt
    Keymaster

Beautiful pictures as always but that’s so sad about the Marudi fish Haji. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

Haji mate they are superb pics of a beautiful fish.
    i wish you all the luck in getting loads of fry mate.

mick

keith565
    Participant

these are superb fish. fantastic pictures. i wish you the best of luck. i tried them earlier this year and they lasted about 4-5 months before i lost them all.

dunc
    Keymaster

That is such a beautiful fish.. really is. I’d go as far as saying one of the most beautiful fishes I’ve ever seen. Superb photos again Haji, but as everyone has echoed, really sad about the way they’re caught and the little luck fishkeepers have had keeping them alive.

Fingers crossed mate, hope you get a top result from these

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (oaken @ Sep 25 2008, 02:10 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Very interesting project. Good luck with it /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 25 2008, 02:42 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Beautiful pictures as always but that’s so sad about the Marudi fish Haji. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> /thumbs_down.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsdn:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_down.gif” /> .

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Sep 25 2008, 06:34 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Haji mate they are superb pics of a beautiful fish.
    i wish you all the luck in getting loads of fry mate.

mick

Thanks Mick < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

these are superb fish. fantastic pictures. i wish you the best of luck. i tried them earlier this year and they lasted about 4-5 months before i lost them all.

Thanks keith ……Hoping to see your pic too < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is such a beautiful fish.. really is. I’d go as far as saying one of the most beautiful fishes I’ve ever seen. Superb photos again Haji, but as everyone has echoed, really sad about the way they’re caught and the little luck fishkeepers have had keeping them alive.

Fingers crossed mate, hope you get a top result from these /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Day 4

– Three pairs shows sign of courting.

– Out of the whole lot,two pairs has females that is aggressive.No attempt is made to separate them for the time being.

– Three females and one male(from a pair housed indoor and the rest from outdoor tanks) has developed fungus on their fins,the respective tanks has been treated with methylene blue and salt solution.

Previous day observation:
    # The pair seems to be twitching regularly.(indoor tanks)
    # Color is off and fins clamped.
    # They do eat but less than normal.
    # Females hiding most of the time (outdoor tanks only)

Mostly females are severely infected.Swimming is erratic

Cotton like fungus

Matt
    Keymaster

Haji can you get the products Melafix/Pimafix over there? They are totally organic, really effective and superb for treating wild fish.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 25 2008, 03:29 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Haji can you get the products Melafix/Pimafix over there? They are totally organic, really effective and superb for treating wild fish. /happy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”^_^” border=”0″ alt=”happy.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Aye, they’re the only things I don’t mind putting in my tank other than.. well, water (oh, and pure acid occasionally

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Day 5

Outdoor tank
    One of the female has died this afternoon.The remaining female is recovering.The weather has been very hot yesterday.

Indoor tank
    Recover fully today

Another two tanks ie two pairs suspected of having fungal infection.Their tanks have been dosed with methylene blue and salt solution (31 ppt solution made from rock salt).

Five tanks shows pairs courting

Using air condition unit to cool the tanks can be tricky,i have set the unit to operate at 26C but temperature reading of these indoor tanks indicate 23C.Trying tonight to set the tank temperature to 26C.

Matt
    Keymaster

Glad the indoor ones have recovered mate. Do these get fungal problems a lot?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

The juvs fights a lot and all the time.”Unwilling pairs” also fight.Damage to fins from these fights usually lead to infection.It seems that most of the death relates to fungal infection.

I have noticed that the indoor ones with control temperature have less problem than the ones outdoor.In hot weather,the outdoor temperature can get to 29 -30C.In these times most of the other wild betta get diseases too.

It will be interesting to know Keith’s experience with his macs.Did his macs get fungal infection before they die?

Malti
    Participant

gluck Haji, they’re really beautiful fish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.