LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

My New Pair Salvini

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes My New Pair Salvini

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Duffill 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

niko
    Participant

Some time ago I got 8 salvini and I knew nothing about them except that they were aggressive fish. They lived a good life and had no issues with other fish such as convicts, nicaraguense, rainbow cichlids and clown laoches. But the problem arose when they paired up. The sad story is that when they pair they kill any other salvini in the tank. The first pair managed to spawn at least 5 times and had removed one batch of eggs which I harched artificially. The end result was only a 20% hatch rate when compared to their parents rate of nearly 60%. The same old story happened again with this 20. Only two survived which were bigger in size. Now they had their own eggs as their parents live in a separate tank (male is around 4-5 inches as compared to the female which is less). This new pair is around 3 inches and now they had their first spawn which is not large bit a good one…here are some pictures:

1. fry lying at the bottom

2. parents

3. Female

4. Female guarding fry

5. Female aggression to the camera

More pictures…

dunc
    Keymaster

Congrats, Niko /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

great looking pair, pity they can be bad sods at times.
    and congrats on the spawn.

mick

niko
    Participant

Thanks…if you have to sell or give away, best size is one inch…more than that and you are in trouble.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great stuff Niko. Do you find it difficult to get rid of all the fry?

niko
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Oct 19 2008, 04:00 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great stuff Niko. Do you find it difficult to get rid of all the fry?

The plan for the F1 generation was to keep the healthy and some colours but I ended up with the strongest pair. From this lesson I will get rid of the fry once they are 1 inch. Hopefully some lfs will buy them or exchange them for food.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Congrats on the spawning Niko

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.