LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

My Pond(s)

Home Forums My Aquarium My Pond(s)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JazzBora150 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Daspricey
    Participant

Where do i start?

When we first moved to this house about 5 years ago now there was a small pond in the garden. The pond was about 10ftX18″x12″, so like a mini canal with a bridge going over it. It was full of frogs and newts, eventually we added our 8 year old goldie from a tank and added several new goldies. We also was given some pond plants from some friends and a black carp fry must have got caught in the plants so we had a lovely black carp too. /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

We then decided to fill in one side of the pond and extend the other. By a couple of weeks it looked like this (After some rain!)

We then had to empty the hole, easier said than done when the pump broke on us!

After a lot of digging and messing about this was the pond without plants or filteration set-up,

The other side of the pond, you can see the size of the old telephone shaped pond,

After some fish from the tank,

and some plants the pond was taking shape,

Filter covered,

That was my dream pond and was more than happy with it!

But a couple of weeks later we had some heavy rainfall and look what happened to the pond,

Daspricey
    Participant

/sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

The hole filled up alot more with mud,

After another couple of weeks the pond looked like this,

After another couple of months the pond now looks like this,

Pond plants are now growing OUT of the pond,

Some lovely fairy moss,

Even though i think it is to small now the fish are more than happy. I found three of these a couple of days ago,

So that’s 4 different ponds in 5 years and we are already laying out plans for a much larger pond the other side of the garden.

Malti
    Participant

that sure is a lovely pond…wish i had some place to do one. what is that “fish” in the last pic?

Daspricey
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Jul 13 2008, 12:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    that sure is a lovely pond…wish i had some place to do one. what is that “fish” in the last pic?

I think it’s a goldfish fry, it could however be a blue orfe fry, only time will tell for sure.

dunc
    Keymaster

Awesome post David /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Daspricey @ Jul 13 2008, 03:02 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think it’s a goldfish fry, it could however be a blue orfe fry, only time will tell for sure. /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” /> )…was thinking they came that way

Matt
    Keymaster

Great picture series David.

Daspricey
    Participant

Thanks guys

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 14 2008, 02:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great picture series David. /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

JazzBora150
    Participant

just getting round to reading this post now

frogs generally return to their birth place to spawn just like salmon

for your sake i hope they dont

they also have been known to kill fish they must be a bit thick they will hold on to a fish in a similar way to that of their mating ritual but unfortunatley for the fish this will do lots of damage as the frogs grip is quite severe

cheers martin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.