LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

My Tank's Water Quality Problem !

Home Forums My Aquarium My Tank's Water Quality Problem !

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Lian 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Lian
    Participant

Hi guys,I got a problem today! /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> )

And I also wonder the filtration also not powerful and I change the new one spong for the filtration…but it still not 80% clean the water

(the filtration system)

(This picture was early taken )

Have any advice or solution? should change other type of filtration?

Lian

ste12000

QUOTE (Lian @ Nov 17 2011, 04:29 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi guys,I got a problem today! /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> )

And I also wonder the filtration also not powerful and I change the new one spong for the filtration…but it still not 80% clean the water

(the filtration system)

(This picture was early taken )

Have any advice or solution? should change other type of filtration?

Lian

Hi Lian, would i be correct in thinking that you are a fairly new fishkeeper??

Lian
    Participant

Affirmative..Im researching for the info..hope I can learn a few..

Sorry Im fairly new fishkeeper but I love keep fish but I will look forward..

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

Lian – you really need to understand the nitrogen cycle first. I’ve linked to an article for you in one of your previous posts, someone else has also suggested some reading material for you

Lian
    Participant

Thanks poshsouthernbird /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> and my friend start to spam them,talked them..afterwards a best guy name mynki,he tell me to registry this SF forum and I will got many useful tips here.

I like here and I can get much useful tips here

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

Well it doesn’t sound like you had a very nice time on the other forum. Hopefully you can learn some things from the people on here /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” /> I note you are in Malaysia so I’m guessing English isn’t your first language – if you don’t understand anything just tell us and we’ll explain it.

The nitrogen cycle is the most important thing to understand in fishkeeping, especially when you are new to the hobby. Do you have a test kit so you can test the water in your tank for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If the tank is new and the filter isn’t mature there may not be enough good bacteria in the filter to convert all the fishes waste from poisonous to safe. If ammonia or nitrite is quite high that would make your fish very unwell, it could be the reason one of them has died. The fin nipping and fungus probably happened after it died, in warm conditions a fish doesn’t take long to start decomposing.

Giant gourami are not seen as suitable fish for keeping in a tank in the UK. Some people do, but the fish grow so big they need really big tanks and most people can’t provide that. Where did you get your giant gourami from? Would it be possible to take it back and explain you don’t have the right tank for it? There are lots of fish which would work well in the size of tank you have http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/API-Freshwater-M…=item3cb12089ce

Do you know if the Malaysian water supply is treated with any chemicals to make it safe to drink? In the UK the water is treated with chlorine and chloramine to make it safe to drink. Chlorine and chloramine are not safe for filter bacteria though so we have to treat our tap water with water conditioner before putting it into the tank. Where do you get your water for the tank from? If it comes from a drinking water tap you might need to use a water conditioner before you add it to the tank. If it is treated with chlorine and chloramine it may kill the good bacteria in the filter so they would not convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate.

When you clean your filter always do it in water you have taken from the tank, don’t rinse it under the tap. This will help keep your filter bacteria safe so they can do their work for you.

You need to change the water regularly, especially if you are dealing with messy animals like large fish and turtles. You should change about 25-30% of the water every week. If you have a test kit you can keep an eye on the water for any problems and change some more frequently if you need to.

Will leave you with that for now, let us know if there is anything you don’t understand or want more help with

Lian
    Participant

Thanks /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> and I cant make my own decision because I only 14 and most of fees like tank,decor and anythings is paid by my Dad /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Are snails can be good tankmates ? I found that the snails can be the tank’s cleaner..so can add it?

Lian

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

QUOTE (Lian @ Nov 22 2011, 03:17 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” /> and I cant make my own decision because I only 14 and most of fees like tank,decor and anythings is paid by my Dad /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

Are snails can be good tankmates ? I found that the snails can be the tank’s cleaner..so can add it?

Lian

I’ve just replied to your thread about tilapia but the same advice goes for this – you’ve said it yourself – you need to research and learn a lot more. You’ve said you can’t make your own decisions as you are only 14 but you’ve just added a lot of tilapia, you must have decided to do that?

Don’t get any more fish until you understand what they need to thrive. Read up on the subject and get a much better understanding of what you are doing.

I repeat – do not get any more fish at the moment

Lian
    Participant

Oops :/ yes..I cant add fish anymore but this forum can be my best research! Thanks for remind

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

QUOTE (Lian @ Nov 25 2011, 03:04 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oops :/ yes..I cant add fish anymore but this forum can be my best research! Thanks for remind /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Now, for research, have a read of all the articles in these links here

articles about the aquarium

fish science articles

And these articles

Aquarium maintenance

Introduction to community fish

‘Tankbusters’

Nitrogen cycle (all right so this is a repeat but it’s important, read it again!)

That should keep you busy for a while

Lian
    Participant

Why say busy for a while /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    And Thanks again for post up these helpful articles

Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.