LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mystacoleucus Species For Id

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mystacoleucus Species For Id

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

First one came with the label M. marginatus and the second M. atridorsalis. Do they look right to you guys?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Going by the description in “Fishes of Laos” the M. marginatus looks right but the M. atridorsalis isn’t.

According to the description in “Fishes of Laos” there is no red in the dorsal and the dorsal should have a triangular blotch on dorsal, also that fish in the photo looks to have more than the one pair of barbels it should have.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mark do you think the second could be M. argenteus then? This is a pic I got off Mick and it looks similar?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I would say so Matt

Matt
    Keymaster

Lovely thanks for the confirmation mate.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok have edited the M. marginatus profile and added one for M. argenteus. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice some similarities between them. /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

Any practical experience (or habitat info for M. argenteus; still looking for that) would be much appreciated.

mickthefish
    Participant

the argenteus is kept by both me and Andy, he got his first as youngsters, now they’re a shade over 4 inches SL, the size shown for these in the books is 6 inchesSL but that couldsjust be the size they grow to in the wild.
    as for temprament they keep themselves to them selves and are really no bother at all.
    on a note i lost 4 intwo days because the ph had dropped below 6.5 so it’s better to keep this fish as neutral or slightly above.
    one other thing that happens with this fish if the dorsal tip has been cropped by another fish it won’t grow back as it would with other fish.
    Andy’s large ones were cropped by some cats he had in the tank and as they were doing it at night Andy could’nt figure out which fish were attacking the finnage,
    well their fin has never grown back on any of them.
    hope thats enough for you mate.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

I think that should cover it Mick!

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt the fish in the first pic looks like one of the Lemon fin barbs ! the best way to tell M.marginatus is by the anal fin, its squared off as opposed to pointed as in that pic ! having said that its an easy mistake to make , if you have no experiance with M.marginatus !

Marginatus is one of the larger Mastacoleucus ‘s as far as I know it grows to about 8 inch’s , and is quite undemanding and placid .

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Andy pic deleted!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.