LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Name The Snail!

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Name The Snail!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Can someone shed some light on what this little guy is and if I should keep him or not?

Sorry for the dodgy pic!

Thanks in advance!

MatsP
    Participant

Not an expert on snails, but I would call it a “common pond snail”. Get them on plants from shops quite often.

In general, snails are only a problem if you get too many – and that comes from feeding the tank too much.

Mats

Daddyfish
    Participant

Hey Mats,

So it’s not gonna eat my plants then?

Matt
    Keymaster

It’s a wee ramshorn snail so should be a Planorbis sp. and yeah it’ll munch some soft-leaved plants (shouldn’t be a problem with the Java fern it’s on there). As Mats said if you want to keep the population under control be careful not to overfeed your fishes!

Daddyfish
    Participant

Nice One Matt! /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 24 2010, 10:42 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It’s a wee ramshorn snail so should be a Planorbis sp. and yeah it’ll munch some soft-leaved plants (shouldn’t be a problem with the Java fern it’s on there). As Mats said if you want to keep the population under control be careful not to overfeed your fishes!

Not true according to my experience. They only eat dead parts of leaves unless very starved. I keep ramshorns in all my tanks as clean up crews and they are very effective and I have never noticed any munching on healthy plants.

Keep the ramshorn it´ll only be benificial for the tank. If you´re trying to breed fish they won´t touch healthy eggs either.

Bluedave
    Participant

I’d agree with senor Bastardo – snails rarely munch healthy plants – they do become a pain in the proverbial when they breed though – from an aesthetic point of view.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.