LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nannacara Anomala Vs Apistogramma Cacatuoides

Home Forums My Aquarium Nannacara Anomala Vs Apistogramma Cacatuoides

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ender2811 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ender2811
    Participant

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion about the aggression levels of these two species during mating. Specifically towards tetras, cories and each other.
    I was planing to add some A. cacatuoides to my 55g community tank but my LFS guy said that N. anomala would cause far less mayhem if they started to breed. Can anyone verify this?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Female N. anomala can be very aggressive when guarding their eggs and young. Even to the point of killing the male. I’ve never bred them in a community tank, on the whole it’s better to avoid breeding in display tanks in my view.

ender2811
    Participant

Hey mummy,
    My plan is not to breed them, I just want to know what to expect if it happens. Do u have any experience with multiple males or females in the same tank?

Jarcave
    Participant

The thing is it’s upto the fish if they deceide to breed and not us. In my experience A cacatuoides will breed quite readily in the aquarium. I’ve had one male with three females, one had to be removed as it was being bullied (Obviously the three foot tank wasn’t big enough for their territorial requirements). But he did breed with both females. Both were of very similar size.

Tetras will be more or less left alone, they’re often deliberately added as dither fish with shy dwarfs anyway. Obviously they’ll be chasde if they get close to eggs and fry but not seriously. At least in my experience.

I have no hands on experience with Nannacara anomala. But aquascaping the tank with lots of hiding places and plants will help I’m sure.

ender2811
    Participant

Thanks for the info Jarcave. Appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.