LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nannostomus mortenthaleri

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Nannostomus mortenthaleri

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  paul thompson 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Some pics:

nannostomus_mortenthaleri.jpgnannostomus_mortenthaleri_2.jpgnannostomus_mortenthaleri_3.jpgnannostomus_mortenthaleri_fry.jpg

paul thompson
    Participant

For anyone interested in the breeding of this species (and other pencils), take a look at the article written by Alan Vaissiere: “Observations on Pencilfish” under Articles “Other Species” on the Northern Tropical News site. We have been trying to get Alan to write a book on pencils for quite some time!

http://www.northtrop.co.uk/

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah, Alan sent me copies of his articles a while back and he’ll be referenced and credited once the Nannostomus profiles are updated. 🙂

paul thompson
    Participant

Yes I know about this Matt but he’s moved on a lot since he sent you the original articles. I did some editing of the start of his ‘proposed book’ about a year ago which I believe has the makings of a unique book on keeping and breeding a number of pencil species. The problem is getting him motivated to complete it . . .

Paul

Byron Hosking
    Participant

33g-Apr-6-12.JPGI acquired a group of 8 wild N. mortenthaleri just over a year ago (Feb 2011) with 4/4 male/female.  They settled in very easy, and have spawned regularly for several months now.  I just let nature tanke its course, so survival of eggs/fry is haphazard, but I have had two fry survive recently (without any intervention from me).  They are in a 33g (3-foot) tank with sand, lots of bogwood chunks (some covered in Java Moss), and mainly Helanthium tenellum in the substrate, a “red” Echinodorus cultivar, and a couple of Echinodorus parviflorus “Tropica,” and a thick canopy of Ceratopteris cornuta floating.  Water is 77F, pH 5 or lower (can’t measure below 5 and it is certainly that), hardness was initially zero but since January I have been using Equilibrium at each water change to maintain GH at 5 dGH.  KH is zero (my tap water is near zero GH and KH).  The pygmy swords were languishing without sufficient calcium and magnesium, hence the Equilibrium.  The pencils don’t seem to have minded this, they are still spawning regularly.  Photo of this tank attached.

Byron.

Matt
    Keymaster

@paul thompson said:
    the makings of a unique book on keeping and breeding a number of pencil species. The problem is getting him motivated to complete it . . .

Paul

Sounds excellent!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.