LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nano Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Nano Fish

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  black_tiger 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Fishwife
    Participant

I’ve been given a rather nice 25 litre AquEL 37 and intended to put my Neon Yellow Rasbora (Microrasbora kubotai) in as I was reading that they preferred to be in a nano rather than a large community tank.

However they seem to be thriving in my 90 litre Aqua One 620 and share the top half of the tank with 2 Long Finned Minnows who join in with their antics, so I’m rather reluctant to move them to a small tank.

That means I’ve got to find some other miniature fish to go in the new bowl. I rather like the look of Gertrude’s Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil gertrudae) Has anyone any experience of these fish? And, would they be suitable for a 25 litre tank?

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Hi fishwife,

According to me neither of these species ar really suitable for a 25 l tank. While the equation small tank = small fish is true to some extent you also have to look at the behaviour of the fish. Both of these species are very active and thus need plenty of swimming space. Have you considered any types of killis or maybe licorice gouramis? Especially killis are suited to a small tank and there are plenty of speciesto choose from.

Nomad
    Participant

I have a small colony of licorice gouramis in a 27 litre which are just growing into breeding size. They are oding really well.

black_tiger
    Participant

have you thought about trying some of the small dario species they will live quite happily in a small tank one male and two females should be ok. the males defend a small patch of around 10cm. they are very interesting to watch, they seem to stalk their prey (micro crustaceons)
    i have some dario sp. black tiger and they are beautiful little fish.
    a picture of a male (hunting)

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice! This species has been on my wish list for ages. Do you have females too?

Stefan

If I may offer some thoughts as a Badidae enthusiast: Dario are often offered as nano tank fish simply because they remain small but it’s the worst idea ever. They are not suitable for nano tanks as they need more space. Small fish do not equal nano tank suitable – sorry.

BallAquatics
    Participant

Try some Danio tinwini. I’ve kept these guys in everything from a 210 ltr down to 20 ltr tanks with great success.

They do well enough in small tanks that I usually set-up my breeders in 20 ltr, (5.5 US gallon), tanks.

Dennis

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Out of the two I would go for the Danio. With the Dario you just might end up with a single bad tempered male if you´re unlucky.

If you´re not interested in breeding you could always go for one of the dwarf puffer species (Carinotetraodon).

black_tiger
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 10 2010, 09:14 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice! This species has been on my wish list for ages. Do you have females too?

i thought i had females but people on here have told they are dario hysginon. which i do belive are correct.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.