LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nanochromis Transvestitus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Nanochromis Transvestitus

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Nomad
    Participant

These are some photos of some trannies I had back in 1991:

[attachmen
    t
    =3255:Photo048.JPG]

[
    a
    ttachment=3258:display.jpg]

The female has the barred tail and red belly.

They spawned multiple times over the four years I had this pair and their offspring were easily raised and spawned many generations…

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Kept these meself. Wonderful, feisty little b*ggers. Great photos too!

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Great pics, especially of the “bland” male’s dorsal fin barring. There were a few of these at Aquajardin until about a month ago, so tempted, but relunctant due to 3cm adult size and their on-off relationship within pairs!

Is it really true how they behave with one another, all lovey-dovery and then world war 3?

What fish species are capable of living in harmony with them?

Would you say Nanochromis parilius (which Aquajarding still have ~20) are significantly easier to look after in an African community including Steatocranus cichlids?

Nomad
    Participant

QUOTE (N0body Of The Goat @ Aug 27 2010, 01:12 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great pics, especially of the “bland” male’s dorsal fin barring. There were a few of these at Aquajardin until about a month ago, so tempted, but relunctant due to 3cm adult size and their on-off relationship within pairs!

Is it really true how they behave with one another, all lovey-dovery and then world war 3?

What fish species are capable of living in harmony with them?

Would you say Nanochromis parilius (which Aquajarding still have ~20) are significantly easier to look after in an African community including Steatocranus cichlids?

I kept mine in a 3x2x2 ft tank with a bunch of South American Dwarf Cichlids and some sub occelatus. It had Rams, Bolivian Butterflies, Apisto njissini, cacatoides and mcmasteri. Heavilt plante with chain swords and aponogenton. I had no problems with WWIII type occurences due to the size of the tank and the number of caves and amount of other cover that was available.

Most fish will be able to be kept with them provided you have soft, acid water and a good flow in the tank.

I would take care with any of the Nonochromis in with the lionheads as the Steatocranus will punish them if the tank is too small and there isn’t enough cover.

I prefer the Trannies to the parilus, but both are great little fish.

nuchal man
    Participant

Nice photos of a beautiful fish. The females are stunners, especially when spawning. Definitely a fish on my list to try.

N0body Of The Goat
    Participant

Thanks for your advice about mixing Nanochromis and Steatocranus, I had a feeling there might be conflict.

My Rio240 is going to hold most of my African fish for at least the near future, but I have a 5x2x2 to setup this weekend for my Hillstream Trout (Barilius and Opsarius) plus a group of young Denisons Barb. At some point, my group of five, 2cm SL Ctenopoma acutirostre will need to join them!

Nomad
    Participant

QUOTE (N0body Of The Goat @ Aug 28 2010, 02:39 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for your advice about mixing Nanochromis and Steatocranus, I had a feeling there might be conflict.

My Rio240 is going to hold most of my African fish for at least the near future, but I have a 5x2x2 to setup this weekend for my Hillstream Trout (Barilius and Opsarius) plus a group of young Denisons Barb. At some point, my group of five, 2cm SL Ctenopoma acutirostre will need to join them!

black_tiger
    Participant

is it possible to keep these with krib’s?

Matt
    Keymaster

In a big enough tank I’d say yes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.