LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Native Marines

Home Forums My Aquarium Native Marines

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ferox 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

Native marine fish are a bit of a final frontier for me. I’ve kept coldwater, trops and trop marines, but never had a native marine tank. It’s something I plan on trying one day. I just wondered if any of you guys have ever done it? If you have, how did you do it? And what did you keep?

dunc
    Keymaster

Two of our members, having done a Marine Biology degree, were contemplating setting up a native marine tank. Kris (Sirkus) and Adam were both, at one time, looking in to it – if I remember correctly.

Adam is away on holiday in South Africa at the moment (the lucky git, though he promises a full writeup when he gets back /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

I used to go rockpooling a lot with my dad. Kept shore crabs, blennies, shrimp, even a butter fish once but always released after a few days as we had no aquariums at that point. Used a big plastic bucket in the garage to keep them in. Dunc this is before you were born, mind.

dunc
    Keymaster

Matt
    Keymaster

dry.gif

Malti
    Participant

medievel times?

Richy
    Participant

I haven’t tried native myself but I know of a couple of people who did successfully. They did however live in an area where there’s no sewerage outlets so water was good and got specimens from the same area, thinking logically they should be accustomed to the water.
    Sorry I can’t help you much more as they didn’t go into more details

Jarcave
    Participant

I think the rockpooling element is part of the fascination. I used to go rockpolling when I was a kid. I need the native marine tank as an excuse to do it again! lol

I’ll look forward to the other chaps posts then. Cheers guys.

mickthefish
    Participant

i had a major disaster years ago with my trop marine tank and lost all the fish in a week,
    so you can imagine i was a lot pissed off, there was around 2 grands worth of fish and this was in the 70’s.
    so i had a mate who used to go scuba diving who brought me a few things from our coast, nothing spectacular but i really enjoyed keeping this tank going for a few years.
    inhabitants were a small edible crab, beadlet anemones a few shrimps and this big anemone i used to call the medusa, it’s tenacles trailed everywhere.

mick

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Jul 29 2008, 11:09 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    inhabitants were a small edible crab, beadlet anemones a few shrimps and this big anemone i used to call the medusa, it’s tenacles trailed everywhere.

mick

Sorry about your disaster earlier /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” /> that is so hard.

but the new setup…Wow how cool is that?! sounds really fabulous. I have often been tempted to try a tidepool tank from our local waters, but I am sure I would just let everyone go all the time.How do you keep a cool water tank cool enough? Are tidepool creatures tough because of the variable conditions, or fragile,needing high oxygen content and circulation?

Matt
    Keymaster

We-elll, rockpool animals tend to be tolerant of a wide range of temperatures and conditions because, as you say, they live in a constantly changing environment. I suspect they would develop health problems if maintained at sustained high or low temperatures for prolonged periods though. I know that some keepers of native marines here spend a lot of money on chilling equipment.

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 31 2008, 11:30 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I know that some keepers of native marines here spend a lot of money on chilling equipment.

thanks Matt. that’s what I was afraid you’d say. My sister comes to visit me from Hawaii and says “your tanks are so Pretty! You should go down to the beach and get some critters in the tidepools , and We Could Have Fun with one of your empty tanks..it’s EASY” she says

Talking to you, Duncan, Mick, Mark, etc. is like the cool hand of reason on my forehead

Matt
    Keymaster

If reading our nonsense “is like the cool hand of reason” I reckon you may need to ask yourself some questions Reva dear.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 1 2008, 06:03 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Octopus are notoriously difficult to keep alive in aquaria…

why is that?

Matt
    Keymaster

Karlos try this article by Colin Dunlop. Keeping Cephalopods in captivity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.