LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Need Help With Id

Home Forums My Aquarium Need Help With Id

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

keith565
    Participant

well, this belongs to my mate and we have no idea what they are as we are not cichlid nuts. they recently spawned and the female is doing a great job of looking after the fry.fish in pic is no more than 60mm long. he has 6 of these, some a little more colourful which we guess are males. those are housed in another tank while the fry grow on.
    sorry about the pics but it’s a plastic tank,lol
    cheers

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

Anomalochromis thomasi, great little fish!

mickthefish
    Participant

spot on pete,
    Keith they are a great fish BUT they breed like rabbits mate.

mick

johnpeten
    Participant

Aquaristics: Easy to keep and breed, a tank of about 50 liters of capacity for a pair is fine, even when bigger tanks are preferable. A shy species, just a bit more protective when guarding fry. Anomalochromis thomasi can be kept with other small cichlids or with small Killies or Characinids without any problems. A lot of plants, roots and similar should be added to the tank to give them places to hide. Water should be soft up to medium hardness with a pH around 7. Temperature should be kept between 24-27 °C. Juveniles are very small when free swimming the first days, very often they are not able to digest freshly hatched brine shrimp, so either an established tank has to be used for breeding, where the fry can find enough microorganisms to eat, or very small food has to be offered.
    A lovely small species. At the moment, two slightly different color morphs are known, the “classic” one from Sierra Leone with some more violet blush over the body and a normally rounded mid-lateral spot; and the Guinea morph, where the ovoid spot is more ovoid in shape. Also in the dorsal region of the body each scale has a small black dot that is absent in the Sierra Leone specimens. Additionally, the dark vertical bars are more prominent and more commonly seen than in Guinea specimens. It is not clear if this is just a color morph or a species of it’s own.
    The first photo from the Cichlid room Companion database is of a male. The second is of a female with eggs.

Attached files

keith565
    Participant

wow, great info John. aren’t those a fab looking fish. i will have to get a few of the youngsters when they are big enough.

Matt
    Keymaster

Lol @ Keith turning to cichlids.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 4 2010, 10:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Lol @ Keith turning to cichlids. http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=53

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.