LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Nemacheilus platiceps

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Nemacheilus platiceps

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

The.Dark.One

Picked up a couple of what look to be N. platiceps that were mixed in with what looked like N. masyai. Nice fish. Anyone any experience with them? The profile says they are peaceful.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Very nice! Love the red barbels.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Did they used to be known as either Fasciatus or Kueperi ?

The.Dark.One

Hi Andy. kuiperi is a synonym of selangoricus, a very similar species to platiceps. In fact in the shop that is what I thought they were, but they don’t have the acuminate scales on the caudal peduncle.

N. fasciatus is from Java and Sumatra and the true one is quite rare IIRC.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Would Selangoricus be found with Maysae or is it more southerly ?

The.Dark.One

Their ranges do overlap because masyai is found in peninsular Malaysia and Thailand and so is selangoricus. However, masyai is also found further north, and so is platiceps.

Like I said, I thought selangoricus at first but the bands are too broken in the body for me, and there are no acuminate scales which are present in selangoricus

andy rushworth
    Participant

Is Platiceps a stockier fish than Selangoricus ,and do both fish have that red colour on the barbels ?

The.Dark.One

I think platiceps is probably deeper in proportion to length. Not sure about the red barbels. Maybe things will become clearer when they get bigger. They are only about 5cm at the moment.

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice fish, love that caudal fin shape.

The.Dark.One

Thanks Matt

I’m not sure. Is this something you’ve come across before? Feel free to use the pics if you need them.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve a totally unfounded hunch that red pigmentation is somehow significant in the reproductive cycles of various loach species and yeah I do have some pics of other nemacheilids with red barbels. Just about to run home but will post a few up later.

Would love to use the pics, ta.

Author
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.