LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Filter

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Fishwife
    Participant

I’ve ordered a Fluval U2 filter for my Arcadia Classica tank, I intend to keep the old filter running whilst the U2 cycles but how will I know when the U2 is mature enough for me to remove the old filter

Eyrie
    Participant

QUOTE (Fishwife @ Aug 26 2009, 10:33 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ve ordered a Fluval U2 filter for my Arcadia Classica tank, I intend to keep the old filter running whilst the U2 cycles but how will I know when the U2 is mature enough for me to remove the old filter

Matt
    Keymaster

How heavily-stocked is the tank?

johnpeten
    Participant

I have read the yards and yards of information on bacteria build up in filters etc. This is all new to me after a 40 year break from keeping tropical fish.
    Everything in my tanks comes from the Lake. Gravel, rocks, plants and water. My tap water is untreated Lake water. Do I have to worry about biological buildup in my filters? I normally rinse the sponges when I change the cottonwool pads.

Eyrie
    Participant

The bacteria are needed to break down the ammonia produced by the fish to first nitrIte and then to nitrAte. This is then used by any plants present and can be removed by regular water changes.

As long as you rinse the filter media in old tank water and then only enough to avoid any obstruction to the flow it will be fine.

johnpeten
    Participant

Thanks Eyrie. That is what we will do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.