LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Fishes At Last!

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes New Fishes At Last!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Finally! Aphanius anatoliae transgrediens juveniles. This is probably the most endangered species in the genus as far as wild populations go so hopefully I’ll be able to raise a few after the winter. Pictures to follow once they’ve settled in.

keith565
    Participant

great news Matt. glad you have finally got some more fish.
    i was at an auction yesterday where they were selling cualac eggs. but as mine are doing well i never bought any.
    fingers crossed you have success breeding the transgrediens.

Matt
    Keymaster

Great to know they’re still going Keith.

mzapater
    Participant

Good luck with them!!

I was fearing you would forget them at the back of Roberto´s car and they would end as Christmas presents for his daughters… /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 7 2009, 06:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Great to know they’re still going Keith.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (mzapater @ Dec 9 2009, 05:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good luck with them!!

I was fearing you would forget them at the back of Roberto´s car and they would end as Christmas presents for his daughters… /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

No, he only has my dirty trainers and socks for his little darlings… /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Aah it was Dave Macallister with Cualac eggs; Keith any idea if they were from the fish I sent him a few months ago?

pablito
    Participant

He told me he’d collected them from the wild in Mexico sometime in the last twelve months last time I spoke to him a fortnight ago. Got some eggs off him which have hatched and are doing well.

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 9 2009, 08:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No, he only has my dirty trainers and socks for his little darlings… /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Aah it was Dave Macallister with Cualac eggs; Keith any idea if they were from the fish I sent him a few months ago?

Matt
    Keymaster

Guess he did Paul I know he was in Mexico recently and told me he saw Cualac at Los Anteojitos while he was there. I sent him a group of juveniles in August and was just interested to know if they were breeding already.

Very interested to know your water parameters for them and if you added anything to the water for the eggs to hatch.

Correction – sent the fish first week in September.

pablito
    Participant

I knew he had been recently and is in fact going in the next fortnight so I was just interested to hear he’d also got some from you.
    I had my eggs in “concrete” to stop them from dissolving on Dave’s advice. The ph is 8.2 which is achieved with crushed chalk, coral gravel and bicarb. There was a substance in with the eggs that I got from Dave which coloured the water blue. I took it be either myxazin (or something similar) or the compound some people use to lift O2 levels in transportation bags.
    They are growing well but I was concerned initially that I had a group of belly sliders but they are now all off the bottom. Nigel Hunter had the same experience with his group.
    Paul

Very interested to know your water parameters for them and if you added anything to the water for the eggs to hatch.

Correction – sent the fish first week in September.
    [/quote]

mzapater
    Participant

Very fast reply before I leave.

What we use for this species (and proves very succesful) is to put inside the tank a piece of gypsum rock. Luckily, these are just about everywhere here. If you can´t get one, you can use just the chemical product: calcium sulfate, this also gives good results.

It seems that gypsum is necessary for the eggs to develop. The adults don´t need it, but it doesn´t harm them, so I just leave the piece of gypsum all the time with them.

If you are willing to keep this species, I would suggest contacting Anton Weissenbacher from the Vienna Zoo, who is trying to develop a group of people willing to maintain them on the long term.

Best regards,

Manuel…

pablito
    Participant

Thanks Manuel
    I will make contact.
    I thought that you had already left for Oz. I had a link that I subscribe to where a lot of the subscribers are Australian aquarists who go out collecting in Oz regularly. You may be able to link up or gather local info. from them. Here is the link for use if you have a laptop with you. Have a good trip and don’t forget the photos.

http://www.rainbowfish.info/

Paul

If you are willing to keep this species, I would suggest contacting Anton Weissenbacher from the Vienna Zoo, who is trying to develop a group of people willing to maintain them on the long term.

Best regards,

Manuel…
    [/quote]

Matt
    Keymaster

I can vouch that the Gypsum works perfectly. I´m using it and have never had to add anything else to the water. The adults don´t seem to prey on fry either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.