LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Koi

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Duffill 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I went today to pick a new koi, I have been after a nice Hi utsuri for a year or so now and my local dealer went out to Japan and hand picked some from the breeder Mr Hirasawa of Murusei Koi Farm, Hirasawa is well know for his stunning Hi utsuri Koi as well as his Yamabuki Ogons and Chagoi.

They only arrived in the country on the 17th of March and I have had first pick, it will be another 3 weeks before it will make the journey to my pond after quarantine etc but it is mine now:

It is around 12″ long and only two years old

Colin
    Participant

fantastic looking fish!

I do like koi and currently have part ownership of a 25x8x5 pond, but we have had koi nightmares over the past few years as three years ago an otter wiped out about 30 koi in two nights, including some over 2 foot long and that I had since 1996! Then this winter I lost 6 during the severe winter we had… although they were just bog-standard koi, nothing like that beauty!

I’ll wait until late May or June before getting some more for the pond

cheers

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thanks Colin

Nonn
    Participant

Hi,

Mad duff, I didn’t know you are into koi as well. I, too, am getting myself into this beautiful fish. I find them quite fascinating, though always over price. They are fish for the family, really. The small fish, which are my passion are nice and interesting, but they are not fish for the entire family to enjoy. Koi, in contrary, are big friendly and nicely color fish that the whole family can appreciate, together. I have a small pond, and it have become favorite hangout spot for our family.

The hi-utsuri is very nice although it have a little bit too much sumi, but the sumi edge look sharp for hi-utsuri standard. I have one of these as well.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Hi Nonn, yeah they can be expensive but like you say they are a fish that can be enjoyed by all the family, especially when the pond if the main feature of the garden like mine.

I am collecting another tow koi very soon, I have just had a Lemon & White doitsu hariwake hand picked for me in Japan, it is the fish arrowed in this photo:

I am also thinking about picking up this Yamatonishiki:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.