LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Leptobotia's

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes New Leptobotia's

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  torso 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Picked these L. taeniops and L. guiliensis up from Pier aquatics yesterday:

Leptobotia taeniops

Leptobotia guiliensis

Better pics to come once settled

Matt
    Keymaster

Ve-ery nice indeed Mark, would be good to see the L. guiliensis once the normal colour has returned.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Yeah they are staying together Matt, once sorted they will move into a 75 gallon tank with the sinibotia and my large group of puntius semifasciolatus and maybe my siciyopterus

Matt
    Keymaster

…and what a display that should make!

torso
    Participant

some months ago I got some L. guilinensis.
    pale when incoming

fast movers at feeding time and good hiders too, enjoying the “brick appartments”. couldn’t take decent pics so

Cheers Charles

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Charles , fantastic pics ,are there two fish ? your first fish has a black eye to nose face line whilst the others are yellow instead and seem deeper in the body ,have you still got fish with these differences as they have settled in ?

How many did you get ?

torso
    Participant

the markings vary slightly, Andy.
    I only got 6 of the ordered 40. Was a little too late and the stock nearly sold out. May be next time.
    To cosnsole me (?) they sent 60 Kottelatlimia hypporhynchos. Pics to follow.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool fish Charles.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Charles the fish in your 1st pic is the same as the fish in Mark’s 1st ,2nd and 4th pic ! the rest of your fish are the same as the one’s in Mark’s 3rd pic !

Could they really be the same fish ,Guiliensis males and females or are they different sp/s ? if the difference is sexual then the less brightly coloured ones would be male due to slimness of body ? also the eye is darker in the male ?

I’ve mentioned this to Steve [Darkone] be interested in his opinion , he feels it could be sexual ?

The males have black eye to mouth line and are dark purplish ?

Females seem to have more bold colours ,deeper bodies / yellowish markings on brownish red base colour ?

I guess close up pics for ray counts may help ?

personally I feel they could be different fish ?

The.Dark.One

Hi Andy

I see the differences. Initially the easiest thing to spot is the vivid markings on the head and lack of them in the others. However, more interesting is that the eye seems to be in a different position on the head. The Snout length in Head Length could be different as a result and possibly head length in Standard Length.

Whether this points to different species or just sexual differences is hard to say at this stage. My money is on sexual differences but can’t say for sure. it will be interesting to get pics of both ‘types’ as they mature.

andy rushworth
    Participant

As you know I’m not really into the nemaclature of fishes ,I wonder if the ray counts are the same ?

Strangely the brighter coloured ones are chunkier [females ?] would that suggest transvestism ?

torso
    Participant

QUOTE (The.Dark.One @ Feb 28 2012, 10:59 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Andy
    I see the differences. Initially the easiest thing to spot is the vivid markings on the head and lack of them in the others. However, more interesting is that the eye seems to be in a different position on the head. The Snout length in Head Length could be different as a result and possibly head length in Standard Length.
    Whether this points to different species or just sexual differences is hard to say at this stage. My money is on sexual differences but can’t say for sure. it will be interesting to get pics of both ‘types’ as they mature.

I’ll try to do my best

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.