LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Tank

Home Forums My Aquarium New Tank

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jayuk 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Fishwife
    Participant

I’ve recently bought a Aqua One AquaStyle 620 tank with an overhead filter. It’s a nice tank and I like the sizing of it, but the filter is far too noisy, and the sound of constant running water is driving my husband mad, so I’m going to have to discard it.

I’ve been running the tank with my old Fluval U2 filter, which is technically big enough to run the tank on its own, but I’ve always over filtered my tanks (the U2 came from a 50 litre tank).

So as I don’t want to buy a U3 at the moment, I’m undecided as to whether to put in an Interpet PF Mini filter and run the U2 together with it, or is the U2 sufficient on its own?

I would also like some extra movement in the tank, so was thinking about a Hydor Koralia NANO 900 Circulation Pump, instead of the smaller filter.

Any advice, I’d be grateful

MatsP
    Participant

I have never used the AquaOne filters, but I’ve had a look at them in the shops, and they actually seem like a pretty good idea.

I think the Hydor Koralia is good kit. I’m planning to get one for my RIO400 (but not the Nano 900 model…)

Mats

Fishwife
    Participant

I’m really pleased with the tank, size and dimensions are just great, and agree that in principle the filter seems a good idea, the problem is there are a lot of extra holes in the filter housing that can’t be blocked up and the water just drips through these, along with an extremely noisy pump it’s a bit ott.

Ideally an external filter would be best, but I’ve never had one and am very worried about the setting up of it as I’ve no one to help me. So I’ll carry on the way I am /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

MatsP
    Participant

Externals are the best, and if you go for a basic one, like the Eheim Classic range, they are really easy to set up and use. Some external filters are quite complex, with lots of parts and gadgets. The Eheim classic is essentially a bucket with an inlet, a pump-head (which is just a larger version of what’s on an internal filter. Two hoses for intake and return (with taps so you can shut it off and disconnect the actual filter for cleaning).

And you only need to clean the external every few months, usually. That, in my book, makes them worth a lot. I have one Eheim Classic 2217, two Eheim Classic 2215, one Eheim Pro II, two Tetra Tec EX1200 and one EX700.

Drawbacks are price and the fact that the flow is actually a bit less than an internal filter for similar size tank…

Mats

Plaamoo
    Participant

X2^ Eheim classics are hard to beat. I’m thinking they’ll last for a long time, I’ve had mine for 3 years without issue, and it’s virtually silent! Also like the spray bar to agitate the surface.

jayuk
    Participant

Recently bought a koralia nano 900lph for my 40gal 180l , it creates quite a bit of water movement so depending on how much movement you want its something to be aware of if your tank is around
    90l .
    I placed mine in the top corner facing the center front of the glass ( if that makes sense ) , to break the flow a little so its not like a whirlpool , excellent piece of kit though and virtually silent , well worth the £19.95 i paid .
    Hope this helps if you decide to buy one .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.